488
Peter Huynh | New University
Peter Huynh | New University

The 42nd annual celebration of UC Irvine boasted more clubs and a greater turnout than in recent years.

ASUCI organized the 42nd annual Wayzgoose festival on Saturday, April 20 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m in Aldrich Park for the UCI community, as well as for prospective students and parents.

Also known as Celebrate UCI, Wayzgoose is one of UC Irvine’s oldest tradition, showcasing campus life as well as its academic resources. The festival combines elements of a car show, carnival, club fair and open house to create a one-day event intending to highlight all that the school has to offer.

“We start preparing for Wayzgoose in the beginning of winter quarter,” Jessica Phan, a fourth-year studio art history major and ASUCI Student Services Vice President, said. “We work with Student Life & Leadership, so they’re the ones that get all the departments together. But on our end, we work with all the students and put together whatever is here in Aldrich Park.”

While previous years have had 120 campus clubs and organizations set up booths in the park, this year, over 160 organizations signed up, requiring the creation of overflow spaces. All of the participating organizations are UCI-related.

“In the past we used to have outside vendors and artists come in, but this year, we really decided to give back to UC Irvine, focus on the students and focus on all the talent we have to offer,” Phan said.

The paved roads in Aldrich Park were crowded with prospective students and parents, current students and alumni browsing the student-manned booths, most of which provided club flyers and brochures for curious passerby and sold food and drinks like boba and Korean BBQ to fundraise. From cultural and academic clubs to Greek row, Aldrich Park featured a variety of campus-based organizations.

Wayzgoose also provided entertainment, boasting a main stage for UCI’s own talent and a separate family stage for the 18 performers. CADC, MCIA and Urban Motus were three of the hip hop dance teams that showcased their sets. Jin & Gray, a vocal duo comprised of members and UCI students Jin Puertollano and Grayson Villanueva, also performed a few covers and their original song, “Seventeen.” The family stage served as host for a diverse number of activities for the incoming families, such as a wildlife exhibit, free dance classes and an arts and crafts station.

Student Life & Leadership also held an open house for prospective students and parents. Each school hosted its own informational session for new majors, the Middle Earth and Mesa Court communities offered undergraduate housing tours, and Campus Representatives gave campus tours on foot and also by bus. UCI’s bookstore, The Hill, was open all day with special discount coupons, and the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office and the Office of Undergraduate Admissions remained open to the public for questions and for students to submit their Statement of Intent to Register.

In conjunction with UCI, UCIPD held its 15th annual Car Show on the green, inviting car owners to enter their cars in the show to be in the running for awards like Best Modified Corvette and Best Of Show.

Although many compare Wayzgoose to Anteater Involvement Fair, the club fair UCI holds at the beginning of the school year, Wayzgoose aims at appealing to to future Anteaters as well as its current ones, bringing together UCI’s diverse students and organizations for a day of celebration.

“I think Wayzgoose is an enlargement of the Anteater Involvement Fair,” Jessica Do, a fourth-year biological sciences major and ASUCI Student Services Chief of Staff, said. “AIF is a sneak peek of what you can get involved with in the beginning of the year, but Wayzgoose is a bigger opporunity for clubs to expand and use their personalities to reach out to the incoming students. That’s why it’s my favorite event of the year.”