195

Yeah Yeah Yeah’s fourth full-length album, “Mosquito,” debuted this past week and proved not to disappoint. Once again, Karen O. and her boys deliver a sound that fans are familiar with while also displaying their consistent maturity in sound since their first album released in 2003. This album is not as pop-oriented as their last one, but this does not mean it isn’t as good.

“Sacrilege” is the album’s first single, and it’s one of the more upbeat songs on the album. Unlike any of the other tracks, it has a gospel choir accompaniment in the background toward the end of the song. It was an interesting choice, and it’s nice to hear the YYYs playing around with their sound still. It proves that although this 13-year-old band has been around for a long time and established a familiar sound, they can still grow and surprise people with what they are going to do next.

“Subway” is the second track of the album and has quickly become my personal favorite. This track’s sound is reminiscent of a handful of great tracks from the band’s 2009 album “It’s Blitz!,” such as “Runaway” and “Soft Shock.” I can’t think of any better way to put it other than it’s a melodic modern lullaby. The band makes use of the song title by including the sound of a slowed down subway in the background, a gentle hum of a train’s movement and wheels coasting over the tracks. It would be my guess that this song is an homage to the band’s hometown, New York City, since the lyrics convey a nostalgic feeling as well.

The track “Mosquito” is upbeat and most reminiscent of the earliest YYYs tracks produced. A feisty Karen O. shouts, “They’ll suck your blood!” It is incredibly reminiscent of The Runaways’ “Cherry Bomb,” which makes sense since both bands have had strong female leads who like to shout-sing. I wouldn’t say this track was for me, but I do appreciate it because of the nostalgia it produces from the YYYs first album “Fever To Tell” in 2003.

For the most part, the rest of the tracks are incredibly mellow, with the exceptions of “Area 52” and “Buried Alive,” which feature rap artist Dr. Octagon. Songs such as “Wedding Song” and “Always” are much mellower and have an almost dreamy quality to them.

“Mosquito” is a perfect soundtrack to put on before bed, not that it will put you to sleep in a negative sense, but it has such a soothing and relaxing sound so it is calming. It is somewhat surprising that there were not more upbeat songs on this album but Karen O., the queen, can do no wrong in my eyes, and this can be forgiven. A true YYYs fan, though, will hold out hope that in the future, we will hear more of their infamous fast-paced and upbeat ballads but for now this album can easily be appreciated for all that it is.