274

Orlando alternative rockers Coyote Theory aren’t brand new to the music scene. In fact, they’ve been around for a couple years now, with their first EP, “Color,” having been released in 2011. With their new single “Taking Over the World,” they look for a new beginning in what they see as a movement. In their lyric video for their single, they proclaim: “This is no longer just about music … This is a movement.”

With their single being one that is both fresh and familiar, the falsettos of frontman Colby Carpinelli and the upbeat melodies of Grayson Hendren and Jayson Lynn combine to make for a song that is just as inspiring as it is easy to dance to. If it’s any sign of what’s to come, Coyote Theory’s next release shouldn’t be overlooked despite their independent status and do-it-yourself attitude.

I had the chance to ask Jayson Lynn a few questions about the band and about their music.

Q: How did you all start playing music together? Was it more of a thing where you were playing music with your buddies? Or was it more with the mindset of like, we’re going to get together and play music and do the whole band thing?

A: The band took on many smaller cycles before we found out what we wanted to do. My goal, at the genesis of the band, was to find people that I had always wanted to play music with and then put them all into a room together. Being that I had been in and around the music culture of the area for so long, I ended up with a room full of many incredible musicians (from banjo players to cello players, and everything in between). Coyote Theory, as it’s now known, really began with these jam sessions, and then those who came back week after week decided we all wanted to really make something out of this. One of those people was our bassist Grayson. He is the guy who brought Colby to the table. Colby had been in one other band from Orlando prior, and he was one of those best-kept secrets in town that everyone is looking to find. We lucked out, and Colby meshed with the rest of us the first practice. Add two years to that, and now we are, as you say, buddies who play music together.

Q: What’s been your main musical influence or inspiration? How is it different now than before?

A: Well, after writing, recording and subsequently touring on the material from the EP for a solid year, we realized that although they were good songs, it was definitely a photo of where we were individually as musicians. This is where the new music contrasts. The new single, for example, is much more about what the song wanted, and not what we may have wanted to play. I read somewhere that you have to let the song go where it needs to go, and not try to force it into certain guidelines or parameters. This is how we approach our new music. Some songs are meant to be 3:30 second dance songs, and some songs are meant to be seven minutes of sprawling piano chords, shattering drumbeats and technical guitar licks. It doesn’t matter, as long as you can sit down with the completed song and say to yourself that it is what it was supposed to be. That melding of the mechanistic world of pop music with the organic mindset of natural growth is where we are at musically these days, and it feels great.

Q: How has touring and publicity and all that been for you so far as a band? Is it stressful?

A: That’s a double-edged sword, and I say that because although it has definitely been successful and we’ve been exposed to many unique opportunities to reach broader audiences, but it will forever and always be stressful. We have more efficient success currently with our online marketing, yet it comes with a price. For everything we release as a band, our audience expects three more of something better in a shorter interval of time (this is just how it works in this day and age). Being an unsigned and completely independent band makes this difficult from time to time. We are in a new age of the music industry where independent artists are garnering just as much (if not more) attention than some major label acts, and that’s incredible, but us independent artists also have to juggle more of the managerial tasks than ever before. For us, we have Grayson doing product shipments, almost daily to keep up with high demand, Colby is trying to schedule and prepare video sessions with friends and colleagues constantly, as well as secure studio time monthly so we can keep producing new music, and I am here basically taking charge of every other managerial task that arises, as well as a lot of the video editing and design work. We try to draw upon third-party assistance whenever we can, but we also manage to stay pretty self-sufficient when it comes to handling publicity of the band. Nothing beats touring, though, for us. I can remember our first handful of shows, opening up for any bands we could, and we would usually just leave right after our set because that was it, and now it is to the point where we are getting kicked out by the venue because the line to meet us, hang out with us and get a photo with Colby is just getting ridiculously long, and the staff want to close up. It’s a great feeling to know so many people believe in this project that publicity kind of becomes a self-perpetuating machine.

Q: Fun question. Who’s the biggest goofball of the band and why? And what’s your favorite thing to do while you’re on tour to pass the time in the vans or waiting around venues?

A: I would say it consistently goes to Colby. He is just one of those people who likes to laugh, and likes to tell jokes to people, even if only he finds them funny. He is also a huge fan of physical comedy. If you ever meet him, ask him for a “Colby-Hug,” and you’ll see why. As far as touring traditions, we play pranks on each other all the time, which keeps us pretty preoccupied (they can get pretty elaborate and intense). We also have this game we play while driving, affectionately dubbed the “hot game.” Essentially you turn the heat up in the van, as hot as it’ll go, roll all the windows up, and you aren’t allowed to drink or use anything to help you cool down. First person to cave and seek cool air (be it rolling down windows, drinking water, etc.) is the product of ridicule, and is treated like the stereotypical intern at an office for the rest of the day. Besides that, I always joke with people that, as a band, we probably talk more to each other than we play music, and that’s truer nowhere else than on the road. We all were those kids who watched a lot of movies, read a lot of books and actually enjoyed high school, college, etc., so we always find ourselves in the heat of a hefty conversation.