Sports In Brief

Women’s Golf Finishes Season at NCAA Regional

Luciana Lee and Michelle Park represented UC Irvine’s women’s golf team in the NCAA West Regional at the Stanford Golf Course on Saturday.

Lee finished in 22nd place, shooting a 74 in the final round to conclude the tournament at +6.

Park tied for 65th with scores of +7 and +8 in her first two rounds before carding a one-under par 70 in the final round on Saturday.

Women’s Tennis Loses in NCAA Second Round

UC Irvine’s women’s tennis team won its first NCAA Tournament match in school history on Saturday over San Jose State at Marks Stadium in Los Angeles.

It took four hours and 30 minutes, but Ali Facey was able to pull out a victory against Julianna Bacelar and the San Jose Spartans. After losing the first set, 6-4, and falling behind 4-1 in the second set, Facey took over with four straight points, and eventually went on to win the match.

The win marks the first time in UC Irvine women’s tennis history that the team has won an NCAA tournament match. On Sunday, UCI lost 4-0 to No. 5 ranked USC in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The Trojans improved to 23-2 on the season, while the Anteaters finished 23-5. Their 23 wins rank first in school history.

Riley Martin Sprints to 1500 Meter Championship

UC Irvine men’s track and field wrapped up the conference by finishing sixth as a team in the Big West Championships last weekend at Cal State Northridge. Irvine scored 58 points, while Long Beach State won with 176.50 points.

Senior Nick Jennings finished third in the conference’s pole-vaulting competition with a mark of 16-5 1/2, while redshirt sophomore Stephen Brown placed sixth with a mark of 15-11 3/4.

UCI took first in the mile as  freshman Riley Martin won the Big West Championship’s 1,500-meter race with a time of 3:49.68. Martin made a late break around the final turn and held off three competitors for the win. Senior Sam Hyams finished in sixth place with a time of 3:51.95. Hyams led the pack with less than one lap to go, but couldn’t place after being overtaken in the final lap.

Sophomore Alex Campbell finished second in the high jump with a career-best 6-9 1/2.

In the shot put, sophomore Mason Miller placed third with a marking of 57-4 1/4.

Aikhionbare Finishes Second in Big West Shot Put

The women’s track team fell well short of UC Davis at the Big West Championships this past weekend, scoring 57 points compared to the Aggies’ 172.5 points in the team competition at Cal State Northridge.

On Friday, the first day of the competition, sophomore Itos Aikhionbare finished second in the shot put with a mark of  50-11 1/2.

During the Big West Championship finals on Saturday, junior Lacey Surak captured the title in the javelin throw with her winning mark of 147-2, becoming UC Irvine’s first league champion in the event.

Megan Bushell placed second in the 100-meter hurdles with a mark of 13.86, recording the third-fastest time in Anteater history. Paige Bushell finished in 13.92 seconds, for the fourth time in the UCI record books.