324
Courtesy of MTV
Courtesy of MTV

Ke$ha has always been known for her excessive, colorful makeup, obsession with bearded men and extremely crazy party lifestyle. She takes it all up a notch in her new show, “Ke$ha: My Crazy Beautiful Life,” which features a behind-the-scenes look at her life as she toured the world two years ago. The show is a combination of a reality show and a documentary that airs footage shot by her brother as he follows her around from the stage to her Nashville home.

From guitars getting smashed on stage to getting tackled by her mom in a male genitalia suit, Ke$ha does not try to hide her wild behavior. The show instead displays it in full blast with no regrets, showing Ke$ha acting just like the name of her new title album: like an “Animal.” Whether the show’s goal is to encourage wild behavior or not, it gives the viewer an authentic vibe of her sense of identity and courage to stick with it regardless of who is watching.

Her crazy, beautiful life is not always fun and games, though. The show also follows Ke$ha through her “romantic” life as she struggles to find love with her busy schedule and weird standard for men.

Her love life takes on an unusual cycle, with her meeting a random bearded man either on the street or through her crew, and slowly developing a relationship only to have that person leave her in the end. Sometimes the relationships are not as serious, ending in one night. Some last for months, giving her inspiration for her upcoming songs. When the relationship does mean something though, Ke$ha is like every other heartbroken girl who does a drive-by stalking session of her ex-boyfriend’s new house.

Though she is a celebrity, the show offers the idea that Ke$ha is just as relatable to the audience as she is to her fans. While her fans may love her, the critics don’t, which is a professional struggle that Ke$ha is most critical of throughout the show. A different side of her is shown through her crying testimonies as she battles the constant bullying by critics and tabloids who have negative comments about her concerts in addition to her image as a pop star. Her confessions about her past experiences with bullying really humanize her in a world that makes you see her as a no good, washed out, some-hit wonder.

The show also plays testimonies from her fans, who speak of their experiences of bullying and how Ke$ha’s lyrics have really inspired them to be themselves. Even with so much support from fans and love from her tour crew, Ke$ha cannot help but be self-critical about her performance, developing a habit of asking for her brother’s critique on the concert and beating herself up over missing her cue.

Whether the show is just a way to boost Ke$ha’s popularity in the music industry or a great marketing strategy to gain approval from her fans, the show at least gets one thing right. Ke$ha may be an animal, but she is just as human as everyone else.

Only recommended if you‘re a Ke$ha fan or are willing to give her a second chance.