Daft Punk: ‘Random Access Memories’

Daft Punk has been producing musical hits for exactly 20 years, the men being close in age to my own Farmville-obsessed mother, and they still manage to produce disco-funk dance music that young and old individuals alike enjoy. Additionally, most artists today can’t pull off their musical talents on the same level.

Six years in the making, Daft Punk has finally released their much-anticipated fourth studio album, “Random Access Memories.” Parisian duo Daft Punk strung fans along on what seemed like a wild goose chase with hints of what was to come on the new album, from billboards to sneak preview commercials, but still, no one had any idea of what to expect. When the day finally arrived and their latest hit single featuring Pharrell Williams, “Get Lucky,” was released, fans were anything but disappointed. It’s the perfect upbeat song to play at your next party.

Overall, I must admit I was slightly disappointed. I expected the album to have more dance tunes, but this isn’t to say there are not a few great ones on the record.

“Give Life Back to Music” opens the album with a disco-funk sound. It’s not a bad song, but it’s not one of my favorites either. It’s a song I could see being great live, yet unfortunately, like other Daft Punk songs I’ve heard in the past, the chorus gets too repetitive and it makes you want to skip over the song after listening for just a minute or two.

Another smooth and slow song, “The Game of Love,” is reminiscent of past songs like “Something About Us” from their “Discovery” album released in 2001. It’s definitely one of the better songs on the album.

“Giorgio by Morodor” is one of the songs I will be skipping over in the future. It begins with a former popular musician telling a story that inspired Daft Punk, yet the second half of the song sounds  like elevator music.

“Within” starts with a beautiful and classic piano progression that will win your heart over when it swiftly transitions into the slow dance sound that Daft Punk is known for. It has a sad and nostalgic sound. When the lyrics begin, you’ll think, “This is the Daft I know and love.”

“Within” and “Instant Crush” are both destined to be favorites from this album — along with the previously mentioned “Get Lucky” and “Doin’ it Right.” “Doin’ it Right” lies in the same top tier as “Get Lucky.” It’s also upbeat and catchy.

“Fragments of Time” is slow, jazzy, and almost a bit western with a guitar twang here and there. If you’re expecting large amounts of synth, this will not be your song. It focuses on the simple sound of vocals, drums, keyboard, and a bass — which doesn’t sound odd for any other band, but for Daft Punk it does not come across as familiar. Toward the end of the song, you will hear hints of the familiar synthesized sounds, but it’s not enough to make the song a favorite.

If you’re already a fan, you’re familiar with the fact that this duo always delivers music you’re dying to dance to and will love. If you’re not already a fan, you will be if you listen to the four favorites I mentioned.