Fox News: Fee-Fi-Fo-Feminism

Last week, a panel of three men on a certain “fair and balanced” network news station warned us that something in America was going terribly wrong, that society was disintegrating and dissolving around us. Their panic-stricken faces and voices filled with fear could only mean one thing — apocalypse.

No, it’s even more terrifying than that. It’s Fox News’ worst nightmare: women’s economic empowerment.

Let’s go through the facts behind this conservative hysteria. A study released by the Pew Research Center last week stated “40 percent of all households with children under the age of 18 include mothers who are either the sole or primary source of income for the family.” The study also showed that approximately two thirds of those women are single parents, who are typically non-white making an average of $23,000 a year. These numbers, to most sane people make perfect sense: women are finally closing the gap when it comes to who brings home the bacon.

Apparently, this signals the end of social order as we know it, according to Lou Dobbs and friends. When RedState.com editor Erick Erickson came on Lou Dobbs tonight and claimed that these changes in economic distribution and income in the family household go against biology, no one on the all-male panel seemed to find this troubling. Erickson boldly upheld the following as fact: “When you look at biology, when you look at the natural world, the roles of a male and a female in society and in other animals, the male typically is the dominant role. The female, it’s not antithesis, or it’s not competing, it’s a complimentary role.”

I don’t know about you, dear reader, but the amount of degradation — let alone factual falsity — sickens me. These people are the disintegration of society, not the hardworking women trying to put food on the table for their children and husbands.

Let me be clear, I do not, in any way, condemn women who make the choice to stay at home to raise their children when they have the opportunity to make that decision while maintaining an economically stable household. In fact, I commend any parent — man or woman — that is willing to sacrifice such a large part of their life to care for their children. But, that role is not and should not be appropriated to the woman because she is considered “complementary” or lesser than her husband in any way.

What is even more appalling is what happened when Megyn Kelly — a female Fox anchor — brought Mr. Erickson and Lou Dobbs on her show to express her concern with the distortion of facts and obvious misogyny associated with Erickson’s comments. When Kelly brought them on to discuss these topics, they mocked her and openly laughed at some of her arguments.

This is what the conservative talking heads think of women. They dismiss them from a conversation about female economic empowerment and progression, and scoff at insight they provide.

Conservative media would go on to tie this progress for women into destruction for men, as if somehow the fact that women making more money is directly related to the emotional and mental obliteration of a male’s purpose in this country.

Why are these conservative men so afraid? Hmm, maybe because along with releasing the fact that women are now on the rise as breadwinners in America, the Pew Center released a statistic proving that more mothers are getting college degrees then fathers.

You know what this sounds like to me? Female empowerment, equality and progression.

You know what that translates to? Fear in the hearts of conservative media.

At this point, one begins to question why angry white men are so fearful of women becoming educated and providing for their families.

I’ll let you figure it out.

Sarah S. Menendez is a second-year political science and literary journalism double major. She can be reached at smenende@uci.edu and she would like to thank everyone who helped make her experience as Opinion Editor one of the best things that has ever happened to her.