San Diego Comic Con Preview

JossWhedon_CourtesyOfGageSkidmore

Courtesy of Gage Skidmore

Every July in San Diego comes a special event that congregates over 130,000 people. It’s an event that allows you to show a side of your personality you can only express to select people you know. It’s also an event that has the highest celebrity presence alongside the Academy Awards. This event, my friends, is San Diego Comic Con International.

Last year’s Comic Con was a major extravaganza for promoting highly anticipated movies like “Iron Man 3” and “The Hobbit,” in addition to reuniting the cast of the cult Sci-Fi series “Firefly.” Sure, the Con has become less about comic books every year, but there’s one thing that can be agreed upon: there’s always something for every attendee to experience every hour of the day.

This year’s Comic Con doesn’t have the same large scale events that were brought there last year, but it still has quite the list of high profile panels for movies, and new and returning TV shows, in addition to spotlights on comic book writers and artists alike. Therefore, I am going to list what are bound to be the most anticipated panels in the aforementioned categories.

Over the past decade, various movie studios have used the Con to show exclusive early footage of their most anticipated movies. This year is no exception to that method being pulled off yet again, a

nd there are many films that this could make or break. One panel that could go either way is that of Sony Pictures, who will be showing exclusive first footage of “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” and the “RoboCop” remake. “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” has doubled both the scale and villains of the first film, so the exclusive footage shown could already set either a good or bad build-up to its official theatrical release. The “RoboCop” remake, on the other hand, already has received a lot of scrutiny from fans for its new approach, so it will definitely have to wow the audience with what it shows.

If there’s two movie panels that will remain popular regardless of what they have to present, that would be awarded to “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” and Marvel Studios’ yearly panel. The th
Though movies are always big at the Con every year, television is actually the biggest draw this year. Shows from almost every big premium and cable TV network will be on hand to promree leads of “Catching Fire” will be present, and new footage will most likely be screened, too. As for Marvel Studios, panels have been confirmed for the highly anticipated “Thor: The Dark World” and “Captain America: The Winter Solider.” However, if you’ve been aware of previous Marvel Studios panels, you’ll know that studio president Kevin Feige will most likely have a surprise announcement or two for the eager crowd.

ote their shows, both new and returning. However, the biggest draw will definitely be BBC with their shows “Doctor Who” and “Sherlock.” Several months ago, Matt Smith said this year would be his last as the 11th doctor, so fans are hoping that showrunner Steven Moffat will hint at who the 12th doctor might be. As for “Sherlock,” Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman supposedly won’t be in attendance for the panel, but that won’t stop the show’s rabid fan-base from asking detailed questions about the second series’ much talked-about cliffhanger ending.

As for the field of comic books, which were the original showcase of the Con’s inception, there are still numerous highlights in their programming this year. Joss Whedon will be the biggest draw by discussing his latest projects in terms of future movies, TV shows, and the comics for which he consults and writes. DC, Marvel and Dark Horse will also hold numerous spotlight panels, but one very special panel will be the “25th Anniversary of ‘The Tick’” spotlight. Trust me, if you read the comic or have watched the animated series of the title character, you’ll realize why he’s one of the greatest satirical comic book superheroes ever created.

This year’s Comic Con is bound to be yet another great one, and those panels I mentioned are just a few of many that are sure to wow the huge crowds this weekend. Even if you’re not going, online movie blogs will be providing constant coverage of the day’s events. However, if you are attending, you might manage to bump into me in the sea of nerds that will surround us.