SIB’s: Sports in Brief

Baseball .

Sophomore Taylor Sparks recently joined USA’s National Collegiate Baseball Team, being the second Anteater after Scott Gorgen to earn a spot on the roster.
“I feel honored to be chosen to represent Team USA this summer,” Sparks said in a statement. “I’ve only traveled out of the country to Canada for summer ball, so I’m excited to experience international baseball.”
Furthermore, Team USA traveled to Japan from July 6 – 11 for the 36th USA vs. Japan Collegiate All-Stars series. Team USA lost the series’ fifth game 7:4 at Jingu Stadium in Tokyo.

Men’s Basketball

Former UC Santa Barbara volleyball player, Armen Zakarian, recently joined UC Irvine’s Men’s Volleyball team as the new assistant coach.
“I’m excited about the opportunity to work with UC Irvine men’s volleyball,” Zakarian said in a statement. “The culture, created here over time, breeds competitive greatness and student-athlete success. The players, coaches, fans as well as the administration all have played a major part in the overall success of the program. I truly feel we have yet to see the best that the Anteaters have to offer, and I am eager to begin that process.”

Women’s Soccer

Former Anteater Rachel Wood began her soccer career abroad this year, playing for Icelandic club HK Kopavogur / Vikingur Reykjavik. Vikingsvollur (translated to Vikings Stadium), in Iceland’s capital city of Reykjavik — the home field of the club.
The season began in early May and will go on until September. The team is currently up to their ninth match of the season with a record of 1-7-1. The club was also a part of this year’s Icelandic Women’s Cup that reached the quarterfinals.
Now, No. 28, midfielder Rachel Wood has become the fourth Anteater to make her way into European soccer.