Carla’s Corner: On a Common Field

I’ve recently come to the realization that there is an uncanny resemblance between the Sports World and the World of Reality that surrounds it. Sports, while seemingly very black and white, often crosses a grey zone where decisions are not as they seem — just like in politics. Allow me to clarify with this illustration.
An issue that has caught global attention is the Syrian Crisis and President Barack Obama’s proposal for U.S. intervention through targeted military strikes against the Assad regime. Furthermore, the president has asked Congress to vote on whether or not the United States should get involved in Syria. As I hope you know, these members of Congress have been elected directly by the people.
So on what common ground do government and sports stand? Since it is soccer season, let’s use it as an example. On a soccer field you have 22 players, 11 on each opposing side. They represent the people, as their field is a representation of the country. Say a foul happens during the match. The referee has to make the judgment as to whether or not the occurred incident indeed was a foul. These players, seeking resolution, complain and advocate their side of what has occurred to the two sideline referees, or even directly to the center referee. The sideline referees serve as the field’s members of Congress, as they assist in judgment calls and can voice their beliefs on the game to the center referee — who ultimately makes the final call. The center referee serves as the President of the entire field, and he hears what the people — the players, representatives and sideline refs — all have to say. The final decision ultimately lies in his hands. That’s the power of The Veto. This commander listens and takes in the input of his people and his staff — but the rest, really lies on his code of ethics. That’s government, and that’s politics; it’s not always black and white.