Four Corners: Miley and the Media

Eli Heller: I read somewhere that there were more tweets about Miley then there were for the last Super Bowl, which shows that people really do care about her, whether they were saying good things or not, people are thinking about her. So in a way, she’s good at marketing herself especially because of all the international attention she’s getting. Was it really a big deal that she was twerking on Robin Thicke or because of her haircut? She’s gained a reputation for being really insane.

Aliza Asad: She also has a reputation of being an innocent little Disney Channel girl.

Tess Andrea: Imagine being 11 and going to a Disney casting call, and they’re like “We are going to tailor fit you to be Hannah Montana” and you don’t really have a choice. They are creating this character for her and she became that character, but that’s not who she really is, that is a character she played. Now imagine trying to grow up when everyone thinks she is Hannah Montana but that isn’t her. Maybe this new music video is a reflection of the direction she wants to go in.

EH: And is her performance really that bad? Is it any different from the Janet Jackson Super Bowl performance when she exposed her breast?

TA: I agree with you, I think if it would have been anybody else with that performance they would not have gotten half the bad reviews that Miley got. Furthermore, my thing with this new music video is everybody was like “Oh she takes her clothes off, she’s naked,” but it’s ok in a rap music video when people undress women. But when a female artist decides to undress herself, it’s risqué and pornographic.

Tyler Christian: I think it’s another entry for everything in the media being developed off shock. The bigger the celebrity, the more they are going to pay attention to it.

TA: I always said I couldn’t be a celebrity because everybody feels that they have the right to comment on a celebrity’s life and just tear them apart. You are going to be subject to that scrutiny because you are a public figure, but I don’t see the need to personally attack people.

TC: Yeah, and with the Miley situation I think she has turned into the person she is because she has her own vision. But we live in such a world where everything has to be politically correct or else people will blow up about it.

AA: But I think she kind of needed to do something this extreme to get rid of her image. She has to do something on the total opposite side of the spectrum to see that this isn’t the same girl we knew 3 years ago; she’s growing up and becoming her own person. And we have to learn to accept that whether we like it or not, it doesn’t really matter because it’s not our life.

TA: I mean, look at Selena Gomez. She is very high profile now and started on Disney Channel just like Miley Cyrus did. She is now doing concerts with beautiful attire, but she is being risqué but no one is saying anything about that. Yet if Miley does the same thing, it’s like she is too sexual.

EH: But at the same time I find Selena Gomez just so much more boring. People talk about Miley because they are interested in her and her bizarre haircut and Selena doesn’t have that going on. She’s less interesting and getting less attention.

TA: People will talk and don’t realize how much Miley is going to profit off of this.

TC: Both Miley and Selena started on Disney and when they tried to break free it didn’t resonate with everyone. Everyone wants to break out of their image at some time. Look at George Clooney, he wanted to get out of his “ER” image and look at him now.

AA: I don’t think her transition wasn’t accepted, I think it had to do with the younger crowd that she attracts. Taking such a sudden turn was shocking because our generation grew up with her and now she’s getting up on stage with what I would argue, are inappropriate dance moves, like how do you deal with that?

EH: It’s so interesting, it’s almost like not any child stars fault that they are 20, 21 years old and still unable to escape the teen pop sensation image created for them. Growing up with them we are always going to expect them to be role models, but they don’t have to be role models if they are over 18 and trying to have their own music career.

TA: I think it’s really disheartening how critical society is on young, female stars. It’s so shameful because it is difficult to grow up in the public and deal with unrealistic societal pressures and then have everyone tell you what you can and cannot be

AA: So how would we like to see things change towards young stars who are trying to escape images they have grown up with?

TA: Allow people to become the person that they want to be. You can’t act like you know celebrities personally, because you don’t. You have to let stars mature at their own rate, and let them be the people they want to be.

TC: More than anything else, it goes to show that the entertainment industry won’t ever stop this. The whole time they have been around they have manipulated celebrities to become people they aren’t. As long as they allow them to be themselves and make their own decision, that’s fine.

EH: I would just like to see everyone not make such a huge deal about something that is not a huge deal at all, like someone trying to be an artist and grow up.