199

Pop music usually consists of bubblegum-pink, radio-friendly songs. However, with Natalia Kills’ newest album, “Trouble,” pop gets a dark side. Miss Kills, the 27-year-old British pop sensation, has a very unique talent for producing catchy and girly tracks laced with hidden meaning and chock full of poignant undertones.

Courtesy of Cherrytree Records
Courtesy of Cherrytree Records

“The album is like a collage of all of the worst memories and worst mistakes I’ve ever made,” the singer tells Billboard magazine. “I feel with this album… I’m confronting and marking down every bad thing, and making that into something important,” she continues, “because all that bad stuff, it stays with you, it defines you, it changes you. Whether it’s through strength or apprehension, through fear and hesitation or defiance and overcoming, it never leaves you. And I wanted to confront who I am and who I’ve been and everything that made me why I am how I am head-on—and most of it’s bad, but that doesn’t mean it’s not good music, good intentions, good entertainment, even.”

Dark pop is Kills’ thing, and she does it well. Her distinct sound is an infectious blend of electric pop accompanied with a swell of raw, authentic vocals.

“Trouble” is an outstanding mix of electronic pop mingled with dark, emotional and controversial nuances. This is most apparent in her song “Saturday Night,” the second single from the record. The track is without a doubt the best on the album and many are even so bold in suggesting it’s the best song of her career thus far. “Saturday Night” truly captures the overall theme of “Trouble.” The dark pop princess sings about alcoholic fathers, criminal activity, domestic abuse, suicidal thoughts, drugs and deviance. Kills sings, “Momma you’re beautiful tonight/ movie star hair and that black eye,” with such raw talent and unrelenting passion.

Later on in the record, Kills opens up and reveals an almost morbid sense of self in “Marlboro Lights.”  This unnerving musical walk down memory lane reveals a former romantic flame that led Natalia down a deadly road. “A lonely bridge / A rooftop ledge could just fix everything,” she considers. The track is absolutely chilling and enticing to listen to.

Natalia has not just recorded an album, but has also created an autobiography. She compiles a long list of party-ready songs with the added bonus of therapy and self-soothing. Each song was inelegantly written, mastered and recorded; each track adds to the well-developed and real story behind the dark pop princess.

If you are a fan of catchy music filled with sustenance this album is a must have.