New Events Added To Week 0

UC Irvine’s Welcome Week has been expanded to incorporate more events for incoming freshmen with the aim of expanding their interest and increasing their involvement at UCI.
ASUCI, the student government of UCI, increased its allocation of funds for Welcome Week by $15,600 over the summer to fund more activities, events and equipment for this year. One of the events, the world record water blaster battle attempt, continues three straight years of UCI world record attempts. The previous three years, UCI broke the world record for the largest single game of dodge ball, finally securing the record a final time with 6,084 people in a single game on Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2012. That record is still standing, so the ASUCI Legislative Council and Student Services Vice President Dominique Doan looked to other records to break this year.
“If we were to break the record again for dodge ball, we wouldn’t be in the Guinness World Book. We’ve broken it four times now and if we were to break it again we would be breaking our own record, which would not allow us to be in the world record book if we broke it, and would make us look kind of dumb if we didn’t break it and so we had to look for a new record to break,” Doan said.
The ASUCI Legislative Council ultimately agreed on a water blaster fight in hopes of breaking a new record. The current record of 2,671 people for a single fight was set in the Spanish city of Valladolid in 2007, but that may soon change, depending on how many take part in the world record attempt on Tuesday. Registration for the world record attempt will begin at 11 a.m. at the ARC fields with the match set to start at 1 p.m. The event will include a live performance, free shirts and food.
This potentially historic event is not the only event of the day; Tuesday will also include the Art Lab on the Student Center Terrace with the theme of wellness of students. The quarterly Art Labs allow UCI students to showcase their artwork and music to the student body. The event is free for UCI students and gives attendees a chance to experience the work of their fellow Anteaters.
Wednesday Sept. 25 will include a new event called “UC I Give Back,” a day of volunteering and public service. The event will have UCI students volunteer for the Tustin and Santa Ana school districts with a non-profit organization called Think Together. The organization provides academic aid and after school programs to disadvantaged children. ASUCI believes over 1,000 students will participate in volunteer opportunities at 40 locations within the Tustin and Santa Ana Unified School Districts. It is also believed this event will remain a Welcome Week tradition along with other activities such as the Involvement Fair.
Wednesday will also include a free concert at Aldrich Park, which is also sponsored by ASUCI. The performers have yet to be named but the concert will begin at 7 p.m. After the concert, UCI’s bookstore, The Hill, is hosting a late night shopping sale which will feature contests, live music and last minute deals on school supplies.
On Thursday Sept. 26, ASUCI will be hosting its open house on the Student Center Terrace. The event runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and includes free pizza. UCI students will get the chance to meet their representatives within the three branches of ASUCI and be able to apply for positions as well.
Thursday will also include a free showing of the movie “2 Guns” in Aldrich Park and the movie “Don Jon” in HIB 100 at 7 p.m. Food trucks and mini-games will be available as part of the event.
On Friday the Anteater Express will take students to Newport Beach as part of ASUCI’s Newport Beach day. The event includes free paddle boarding rentals and free rides to and from Newport Beach until 5 p.m. Welcome Week will officially end on Saturday Sept. 28 with ASUCI’s Spectrum Day. The Anteater Express will give free rides to the Spectrum from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.