Rock and Roll is Saved

Chances are if you went through a pop-punk/emo/scene phase in both middle school and high school, you most likely listened to Fall Out Boy. You probably liked Panic! At The Disco, too. For those of us that never completely let go of our Fueled By Ramen days, the Save Rock and Roll Tour was a dream come true.

Courtesy of Atlantic Records

Courtesy of Atlantic Records

The nation-wide tour made a stop at Orange County’s Honda Center on Friday night with headliners Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco. After a four-year hiatus, FOB released “Save Rock & Roll,” a robust album with a big sound and big collaborations, and shortly after they went on tour. As if fans weren’t already fulfilled enough with a new album and a new tour, the kings of pop-punk brought on their friends, Panic! At The Disco to share the top bill.

Friday’s show opened up with Ohio native duo, Twenty One Pilots. The band, who were recently signed to Fueled By Ramen, played a short set that brought to the arena a fusion of sounds many first time listeners weren’t expecting. With pop/dance songs that could be compared to the likes of hellogoodbye, to synth-infused alternative rap rock with fast-talking and catchy beats, Twenty One Pilots illuminated the stage with a fresh and nearly indescribable vibe.

Panic! At The Disco followed the duo, with singer Brendon Urie as the only original member of the band present on stage. Long-lasting P!ATD fans are most likely familiar with the departure of their original guitarist and lead songwriter Ryan Ross in 2009 after their second album, “Pretty. Odd.” His absence from the show was notable on stage, and though their new bassist Dallon Weeks and touring members did an impressive job, it often felt like the Brendon Urie show. Urie’s vocal talent and stage presence deserve all praise, but fans familiar with Panic’s earlier tours could easily note a change in energy without the original band members.

That being said, the band’s energy was not lacking during their setlist. Panic’s set was full of crowd favorites from all of their former albums and included their two new singles off their upcoming album, “Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die!” A majority of the songs Panic! performed were classics off of their first album, “A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out,” and met with an audience that effortlessly sang every word. Their hour-long set was so hard-hitting and full of energy, it was almost hard to believe the set was over when they closed with a nostalgic and spirited performance of their hit “I Write Sins Not Tragedies.”

Though Panic’s vibrant show was enough to send fans home with a smile on their face, Fall Out Boy still had a two hour set to perform as headliners. The arena was on their feet as the band opened with “The Phoenix,” a guitar heavy call to arms off their new album “Save Rock and Roll.” The set-list ranged from songs off this new album to favorites off their 2003 debut album “Take This To Your Grave.”

Courtesy of Associated Press

Courtesy of Associated Press

The concert was filled with moments throughout the show when the sound of thousands of audience member singing together in unison to anthems such as “This Ain’t a Scene, It’s an Arms Race” left an inspiring tone. Fall Out Boy not only managed to please their old fans with songs off their first album, but brought a number of surprises to stage that were worth capturing on an iPhone for the sake of saying “I saw that happen.”

One of the most memorable moments of the show came when Brendon Urie accompanied Fall Out Boy for “20 Dollar Nose Bleed,” a track that he is featured in on the original recording of the song. FOB also covered Drake’s new single, “Hold On, We’re Going Home,” transitioning into an acoustic part of the night. For fans sitting in the back, the acoustic part of the night was amazing as the band moved to a smaller stage towards the end of the arena floor.

The set ended shortly after powerful performances of their new songs accompanied by pyrotechnics. Naturally, they came back for an encore, which included three songs from old and new albums. The night ended perfectly, as they played “Saturday” off of their debut album, leaving the audience with a performance that they will proudly take to their grave.