Sports in Brief

Women’s Cross Country

Courtesy of UCI Athletics

Courtesy of UCI Athletics

UC Irvine’s Women’s Cross Country teams finished fourth in The Mustang Challenge Division I Invite in Santa Clarita on Sept. 20 hosted by The Master College. This 5,000 meter race was the ’Eater’s first competition since their season-opening Adidas/UC Irvine invitational on Sept. 7.

The highlight of the race was Junior Kaycee Holcomb placing sixth out of 134 runners with a time 18:39.9 over 5,000 meters. For her performance, Holcomb earned the Big West Conference Athlete of the week honors. The Anteaters retuned for another race on Sept. 21, finishing in third place. UCI finished the meet with 76 points, as UCLA finished first with 20 points and Loyola Marymount University finished second with 51 points. Holcomb placed fifth in this race with a time of 18:07.20 as senior Carlotta Pham was 17th with a time of 18:50.63 and sophomore Makenna McGrann 18th with a time of 18:53.79.

Men’s Cross Country

UC Irvine’s Men’s Cross Country team finished third on Saturday at The Mustang Challenge Division I Invite. The ’Eaters finished with 63 points, as Cal State Fullerton  came in second with 53 points and UCLA in first with 20. Senior Tommy Newton-Neal stood out, placing in second in the 8,000 meter race with a time of 24:56.20 as freshman Nolan Del Valle placed 21st with a time 26:11.37.

Men’s Water Polo

Courtesy of UCI Athletics

Courtesy of UCI Athletics

UC Irvine’s Men’s Water Polo team was on a winning streak until they lost 6-8 to Pepperdine University during the first match of the NorCal Tournament at Diablo Valley College on Sept. 21. Senior Mitch Wise and sophomore Tyler Mancuso each scored two goals early in the second quarter. However, the score tied 4-4 by halftime. The Anteaters led the game as junior Alan Robertson scored in the second half just minutes left to the third quarter. Pepperdine followed by scoring the next four goals. Sophomore Jared Osborn scored 53 seconds left to the game, and the game wrapped up with a loss for UCI.

Courtesy of UCI Athletics

Courtesy of UCI Athletics

Women’s Golf

UC Irvine’s Women’s Golf team kicked off their season opening tournament on September 16-17 at the Minnesota Invitational at the Minikahda Club in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The team placed 12th on Sept. 16 as they carded a 36-hole total of 649. Illinois leads with a two-round total score of 603, followed by Minnesota and Illinois (608) entering Tuesday’s final round. UCI finished in 11th place on the 17th with a 54-hole total of 963. Highlights included sophomore Luciane Lee shooting a team-best 74 and ending with a three round total of 237 for 30th place. Junior Michelle Yang also tied for 37th place with a score of 238, as senior Sara Banke tied for 42nd at 241. Freshman Samantha Chan tied for 54th place with a score of 248, while senior Ronnie Valerio was tied for 57th at a score of 250.