“Dads” Know Best

Courtesy of 20th Century Fox Television

Courtesy of 20th Century Fox Television

We all have them, we all love them even when we hate them, and we all hold a special place in our hearts for them. They are the ones who taught us right from wrong, how to change a spare tire, how to belch the ABCs — they are our dads. There is the sugarcoated idea that dads are flawless macho men who only spout words of wisdom, and then there’s the Seth MacFarlane, Alec Sulkin and Wellesley Wild version.

When these three team up and create something, audiences can be certain about one thing: it will be hilarious. In this new show, which premiered Tuesday, Sept. 17, Eli Green (Seth Green) and Warner Whittemore (Giovanni Ribsi) are best friends and co-founders of their own video game company, Ghost Child Games. Although the two lead very different lives and have very different personalities, they do have one thing in common: a single, pestering father who moves in with them.

The show follows these four, highlighting the quirks of the pair’s father/son relationships. As the “dads,” Peter Riegert and Martin Mull succeed in depicting those all-too-familiar habits that dads have — claiming that certain cushion on the couch, leaving the freezer door open so all the food defrosts, leaving a family member stranded on the toilet without a square of Charmin (or even the cardboard roll) in sight, and making Jewish jokes. Pile that on top of the old-fashioned mindset of dads, the one that does not understand the existence of homosexuals and spits our racial slurs to the housekeeper, Edna (Tonita Castro), and you have the “dads” in a nutshell.

Although the show is male-dominated, Vanessa Lachey and Brenda Song are regulars in the cast. Lachey plays Warner’s wife while Song plays the vice president of Ghost Child Games. Unfortunately, these two offer very little insight to the show and are primarily there because they are appealing to a man’s eye. Their minor roles are only there to keep the central focus on the four men and their interactions. Still, this show is, without a doubt, funny. At times, the viewer may be in shock of what the characters say because they push the boundaries of comedy, but they are so outrageously funny you cannot help but laugh.

True, Eli and Warner’s dads get under their skin and cause friction at home and in the work environment, but there is a love and appreciation that comes out every so often in these characters, reinforcing the idea that yes, dads can make life more interesting in a challenging way, but they also call for a love that is unique. While “Dads” is a show will make your jaw drop and make you laugh, it also brings that special gratitude for fathers to the screen.

RECOMMENDED: For fans of MacFarlane’s humor.