Carla’s Corner: Shakespearean Sports

By Carla Kekejian
Staff Writer

Every week, my English class requires me to learn a certain number of vocabulary words, and complete poetry annotations for the not so pop quiz. Of my vocabulary words this week were denotation and connotation; denotation meaning the literal definition or meaning of a word and connotation meaning the extra tinge of meaning each word carries beyond its minimal definition.

So on what common page are literary terms, Shakespeare and sports written on?

When people hear the term “team” they often immediately associate it with sports. It’s true, sports are usually comprised of teams, but there’s more to a team than meets a sport. Denotatively, a team is defined as “a number of persons associated in some joint action; definite number of persons forming a side in a match, in any sport; a group collaborating in their professional work or in some enterprise or assignment,” according to the Oxford Dictionary. But the way I see it, teams are all around us, beyond sports; we just have to define them more connotatively.

Look around, chances are you’re on a team; you just haven’t come to that realization yet.  For instance, us writers and editors of the New University, we’re a team. We work, play, plan, and strategize for a common good — this paper. Our weekly publication determines whether or not we won or lost that week.

Family and friends: they make up your life team. They’re there for you, guiding you, practicing with you, criticizing you when you’re wrong, all so that in the long run, during the Game of Life, you succeed. Sometimes you’ll lose, and sometimes you’ll win, but that’s why your team will always be right there with you, rooting for you.

Happiness and security also often emerge from the feeling of belonging. And to belong to any team, whatever type of team that may be; well is there a better feeling?

Shakespeare once wrote, “Things won are done; joy’s soul lies in the doing.” The way I see it, what Shakespeare meant was that in order to win, one must first do. And a greater feeling than that of winning is that of doing. The progress and the journey that lead to one’s success ultimately are the greatest joys. This of course, relates to sports and beyond.