News In Brief: Week 4

Anteater Released from Jail

An Orange County Superior Court Judge released a UCI student on $50,000 bail on Friday Oct. 11 for crimes he allegedly committed at UCI.
Andrei Tatuiko is accused of two counts of battery, two counts of assault, and indecently exposing himself on campus. Tatuiko is alleged to have exposed himself in Student Housing on Tuesday Oct. 1. The next day, Wednesday Oct. 2, he is alleged to have battered his first victim in Campus Housing.
The following day on Oct. 3 Tatuiko allegedly assaulted two victims, strangling one and pinning down the other. Police did not disclose the location of the assaults to the media.
Another victim was allegedly battered by Tatuiko on Friday Oct. 4 according to the Orange County District Attorney.
He is also alleged to have threatened one of his victims with a fake gun on Oct. 7 in Campus Housing, after which he was arrested by police.
Tatuiko was later arrested and pleaded not guilty to an Orange County Superior Court. There is an ongoing investigation into his alleged crimes, and he is expected to be on trial beginning Tuesday Oct. 22. His defense team has released no official statement.
The names of the victims have been concealed by police to protect their identities. They have not confirmed whether the victims are UC Irvine students.
Tatuiko’s current status as a student has not been released by the University and it is unknown if he is currently allowed on the university.

Accident in UTC Results in Death

Irvine police and firefighters responded to reports of a vehicle hitting a pedestrian at the University Town Center across from UC Irvine at around 10:30 a.m. where they found 79-year-old Hedy S. Chou of Irvine sprawled on the floor, severely injured. She eventually passed away.
When Chou was walking on a private road in the UTC area, she was struck by a Toyota Highlander driven by, police suspect, a 44-year-old female Irvine resident. She was taken to a local hospital where she was then pronounced dead, police said.
Witnesses reported seeing the driver of the Highlander pull into the scene of the accident too quickly and hit Chou, who was carrying groceries at the time. According to those at the scene, the driver was at the UTC to attend a yoga class.
Police are still investigating the crash, and anyone with pertinent information is encouraged to call Detective Jonathan Cherney of the Irvine Police Department.