Tennis Take on ITA West Regional

UC Irvine’s women’s tennis team had a busy Saturday, action-packed with tennis as they participated in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Southwest Regional Championship held in San Diego. Our Anteaters played in both singles and doubles play in this four-day tournament, sharing both victories and defeats.

Courtesy of UCI Athletics

Courtesy of UCI Athletics

The first round of singles yielded big wins for seniors Marivick Mamiit and Franziska Goettsching and junior Kat Facey. Mamiit defeated her Loyola Marymount University opponent 6-4 and 6-2. Goettsching got her win over her UCSB opponent, 6-2, 6-4. Facey pulled out a win over University of Hawaii opponent, 6-4, 6-2.

Other Anteaters were not as successful in this first round of singles. Senior Brooke Schweyer lost in three sets, 6-2, 4-6 and 6-3. Sophomores Alison Klein and Sarah Stadfelt fell short in their first rounds, Klein losing 6-1, 6-0, and Stadfelt losing 6-4, 6-3. Freshman Andrea Duva faced a tough loss in the first round to another LMU player, 6-2, 6-0.

The second round played a little differently. Mamiit was the only Anteater to beat her opponent 7-5, 6-1 and advance to the third round of singles play. Goettsching, both Facey sisters, and sophomore Sarah Gong all lost in this second round.

The first round for Anteaters’ doubles proved to be more successful for this tournament. Three out of the four doubles swung their way to victory over their opponents: Schweyer and Stadfelt, Gong and Mamiit, and junior Ali Facey and Goettsching. Doubles’ partners, No. 4 seeded Facey and Klein, faced a tough 8-3 loss to the No. 4 seeded UCLA doubles pair.
That same UCLA pair would go on to beat Gong and Mamiit in the quarterfinals, 8-3, but not before Gong and Mamiit got another big 8-2 win in the second round. Mamiit was the only Anteater to successfully reach the third round in both singles and doubles play for this tournament.
Schweyer/Stadfelt and Facey/Goettsching both dropped their third round double matches after losing in the second round.

In the consolation bracket, there were lots of tennis that was played. Stadfelt and Ali Facey both won their matches, Stadfelt winning 6-1 and 6-1, and Ali Facey winning 6-1 and 6-0. Duva and Klein lost both of their matches, Duva losing 5-7 and 6-4 then 6-1 and 6-2. Klein lost 6-3 and 6-4 then 7-6 and 6-1.
Schweyer lost her match 6-4 and 7-6;
Mamiit lost 7-5 and 6-4.
Goettsching won 6-0, 6-0;
Kat Facey won 3-6, 6-1.
All in all, it was an action-packed weekend for women’s tennis. The ’Eaters now prewpare for their next tournament Nov. 7th-9th in Honolulu, Hawaii for the Hawaii Fall Tournament.