“Allegiant” To A Striking Conclusion

148
148

Being college students, we choose business over pleasure on a daily basis and put our most beloved books on the back-burner and instead swap them for a “stimulating” biology textbook. However, you should think twice before placing “Allegiant” back on the shelf, because not only is it an exceptional novel, it could keep you entertained more than a cell membrane ever could.

In this much-anticipated conclusion of the “Divergent” series, author Veronica Roth further develops characters, ties up loose ends, and finishes on a note that will leave you shocked and dumbfounded.

Roth has completely turned the world she constructed in “Divergent” upside down. With the elimination of the five factions and no stable government, “Allegiant” embodies a chaotic and revolutionary aspect that was absent in her previous novels.

Right off the bat, the stylistic changes that Roth has made to this final installment are more than apparent. She has seen fit to not only provide us with Tris’ narrative, but incorporates love interest Tobias’s perspective as well, alternating between the two characters’ points of view at random chapters. This new change is odd at first, but it adds a new dimension and complexity to the storyline by being able to look into the psyche of another major character.

What really makes “Allegiant” one of the best conclusions to a trilogy I have ever read is the character development. Tris has made leaps and bounds since the first book. Her transformation from a naive, timid, Abnegation girl to a hardened and, at times, ruthless, warrior perfectly reflects the degenerate state of the environment she finds herself in.

On the other hand, Tobias has impressed me the most and has been a pleasant surprise by emerging as the second most — if not the most — important character in “Allegiant.” His masculine façade is less prominent in this book and is instead replaced by a vulnerable and confused Tobias, who is on a path of self-discovery and struggling to find his identity, making him more relatable.

Roth makes sure to keep things interesting as well by including some action-packed sequences, however some of them contain drawn out lulls between adrenaline-charged scenes with bullets flying left and right.

Being a die-hard fan of the “Divergent” books, I found the ending to “Allegiant” to be heart-wrenching to say the least. Although it was a tad disappointing, I found something satisfying about the closure Roth provided to the readers. Despite a few hiccups concerning the pace of the story, “Allegiant” is everything I hoped it would be and is a must read not only for lovers of the trilogy, but anyone who is looking to add a superb novel to their collection.

RECOMMENDED: “Allegiant” provides a very satisfying conclusion to the hugely popular “Divergent” trilogy.