Anteaters Continue to Dominate

The UCI men’s soccer team celebrated a thrilling win against No. 20 Cal State University Northridge at Anteater Stadium Saturday night with a score of 2-1. The victory alone made the team members champions, receiving the well-deserved Big West South Division title. There were many push and pull moments as both teams played a strong offense and defense.

The Matadors took the 1-0 lead right away in the 12th minute as Edwin Rivas seized the ball from drifting away and scored inside the far right post. This only drove the ’Eaters’ hunger for some goals of their own. Thanks to some impressive passes and impeccable quick actions from keeper Michael Breslin, UCI gained the upper hand.

Anteater Thomas Janjigian, from a corner kick hit the ball toward the goal as Cameron Iwasa served the final blow as he bounced the ball using his head to score in the 30th minute giving the score a 1-1 tie. CSUN began to attack continuously as the south crown title was soon up for the taking. However, the ’Eaters weren’t done quite yet as they quickly served another astounding blow in the 42nd minute. An identical situation from the first goal was offered again as Janjigian gave another corner kick. He used the same tactic from before but this time the ball found Bryan Breslin whose header glided inside the left post giving UCI a total score of 2-1, just before the half. UCI has had trouble scoring from corner kicks in this 2013 season. Nevertheless, Janjigian proved otherwise as his skillful play assisted his fellow teammates greatly as he set them up for another goal, guaranteeing the Anteaters the win.

The second half proved to be an intense rollercoaster of emotions for the fans as many close calls that could have changed the score drastically kept everyone fired up throughout the night. Determined to keep their winning streak, UCI’s defensive line became an impenetrable force.

In the beginning of the second half CSUN gained three corner kicks in the first three minutes, which almost secured them some guaranteed goals but they just could not convert. UCI’s keeper Breslin gave an amazing performance as he stopped many of CSUN’s possible goals from entering his turf, which gives him a total of 51 saves on the season. In the 87th minute the game became fiercer as Enrique Cardenas was kicked and shoved against the outside line by Juan Samayoa of CSUN who received a yellow card, and was forced to sit out which took him out of the play with only a few minutes left in the game.

The Anteaters secured their fourth Big West regular season title and first of the newly formed Big West South division. Their win also seized UCI’s place in the Big West Tournament semifinals, which will take place at Anteater Stadium, Friday, Nov.  15 at 7:00 p.m., against the winner of the UC Riverside vs. UC Davis first round match. UCI will also host the Big West final if the Anteaters continue forth after the semifinal. 2013 is definitely the year of the Anteater, so other teams beware because UCI is here to seriously play.