New Director of Campus Organizations Selected

Vincent Vigil was recently appointed to be the new head of Campus Organizations (CORE) under the office of Student Life and Leadership, replacing Intern Director of CORE Brian Clarke.
Vigil has been serving in his position as director since Nov. 1 and was previously the Director of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Resource Center at the University of Southern California since 2002. He earned his doctorate (Ed. D) in higher education from the university in 2007.
Vigil went through a long application and interview process. As the only one of 80 applicants to be approved, Vigil has gone through a long process to become the next CORE Director. The process included interviews with administrators and students in panels during the month of October as part of the new hiring process for the position.
The Associate Dean of Students Sherwynn Umali directed the hiring process and believes Vigil is well qualified for the job.
“It was clear from his interviews that Vincent is passionate about working with and developing student leaders. We are fortunate to have someone with his experience and vision for campus organizations join us on our team,” Umali said in a statement.
As the new CORE Director Vigil will work with the 600 student organizations on campus and according to a release by Umali.
“His responsibilities will include advising students regarding risk management and liability, provide leadership and educational workshops, interpreting university policies and procedures, and advisement on program planning and funding procedures for RCOs [Registered Campus Organizations]. Vincent will also be responsible for educating students on the campus expectations for organizations and will work with student leaders to hold organizations and individuals accountable for their actions, while advocating for the needs of our diverse and dynamic campus organizations.”
Vigil will be responsible for organizing events including the Anteater Involvement Fair, the Winter Leadership Conference, the Anteater Awards, and other student events.
Students with questions can contact the CORE office at (949) 824-5181 or visit the CORE office at Suite G 38 in the Student Center.