Blog of the Weik: Fashion Edition

309
309

So far, I’ve covered a social activist blog, a street photography blog and a historical blog, so you know it was only a matter of time before I tackled my favorite subject: the fashion blog.
Seemingly simple in concept, the fashion blog can be crafted in a billion different ways –– that’s not an exaggeration. You have hipster blogs and you have preppy blogs.
You have the personal fashion blog, the streetwear blog and even blogs that have expanded to include their own editorials and online shops. So, naturally, I can’t pick just one to feature.
Behold! Blog of the Weik: Fashion Edition. I’ve selected five fashion-related blogs to feature this week. Some of them I follow myself and others have been suggested to me. This is just a small slice of what is out there in stylish blogs.

1. Neon Blush
Calling all Anteaters: this personal style blog is run by UCI alumna Jenny Ong, who graduated as a public health major with a political science minor in 2011. Originally started back in 2010 in an effort to escape the pressures of school, Neon Blush has since developed into an LA-based fashion site with Ong herself modeling her sophisticated, yet casual outfits that look as if they could be cut right out of a Zara catalogue. If you’re into the minimalist look –– think solid blacks, white and metal hardware with a feminine twist — Neon Blush is your kind of blog.

2. Keiko Lynn
Are you a girly girl? The florals don’t get any brighter and the lipstick doesn’t get any redder than on Keiko Lynn’s self-titled blog. Not only can the quirky 28- year-old designer rock pale pink peacoats and bowler hats, but she has her own makeup how-to section where she gives readers tips, like how to achieve her signature bold eyebrows. While normally this kind of blog would annoy me –– sugary sweet colors aren’t my thing –– Keiko Lynn is so classy with her librarian-esque cat-eye glasses and her funny commentary that make her blog something worth reading, beyond the photos.

3. Street Etiquette
Because menswear is important, too. Joshua Kissi and Travis Gumbs are two friends from the Bronx who founded the blog in 2008 to showcase men’s fashion from a cultural perspective. The duo also embarks on a number of creative and ambitious projects. One of their editorials, “Crowned,” photographs the hairstyles of themselves and their friends. Another section titled Travel Etiquette documents the global duo’s trips around the world as they draw inspiration from the local streets of countries like Brazil and Thailand. Street Etiquette is more than just a fashion blog; it’s a lifestyle.

4. The Sartorialist

It wouldn’t be a column on fashion blogs without the Sartorialist, Scott Schuman’s street photography blog that aims to create a “two-way dialogue about the world of fashion and its relationship to daily life.” His work has been featured in GQ and Vogue Paris and he has published his own anthology in 2009. The photographer snaps photos of New Yorkers on their daily commute. Whether they be a business executive donning six inch heels or a freelancing artist wearing wing-tip oxfords, Schuman’s photos illustrate the power of individualism, especially when it comes to fashion.

That’s precisely why fashion blogs are so popular and influential. There’s no better way to physically express yourself than by throwing on the scarf that screams “me” or the glasses that are your signature piece. Posting photos of yourself or of your style inspirations not only function as a “hey, this is what I like” statement; they also make a connection with others who feel the same way.