Tyler’s Flix Pix: Catching the Netflix Fire

Outside the common activities in college like studying and homework, there is one hobby that many students, I included, take part in: watching Netflix.

Watching movies and binging through television shows is common for killing time on your own, but the vast amount of things to watch on Netflix can get very overwhelming at times.

Therefore, this column will be dedicated to giving all of you recommendations on what to watch on Netflix. Each set of recommended movies and/or TV shows will have a connection to a wide variety of subjects, new releases in theaters, changing of the seasons, and national holidays to name a few.

This Friday, “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire,” will release in theaters. In addition to bringing back the main cast from the first film, the sequel features a sum of new characters, most of which are played by well-known A and B-List actors.

Reprising his role as Haymitch is Woody Harrelson, a brilliant actor that has a great knack for dividing his work between both mainstream and independent cinema. One of his movies currently streaming is “The Messenger,” a very overlooked military drama where he and Ben Foster play two Casualty Notification Officers who have the difficult task of informing fallen soldiers’ families of their unfortunate deaths in combat. Harrelson’s performance earned him an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor, and while the movie is quite emotional, it’s an affectionate character study about these two men carrying out their job, while also trying to battle their own personal demons.

One of the new faces to “The Hunger Games” series is Philip Seymour Hoffman, who plays Plutarch Heavensbee, a key character in “Catching Fire.” Likewise to Harrelson, Hoffman also displays an acclaimed acting resume, which has earned him four Oscar nominations, including one win. On the site, you should definitely check out “Capote,” the movie for which he won Best Actor for in 2006, where he played the role of controversial author Truman Capote.

Another film of Hoffman’s that deserves a watch is “Mary and Max,” a stop-motion animated film that chronicles the unlikely friendship between two pen-pals: Mary, an eight-year-old girl living in Australia, and Max, a forty-four-year-old, morbidly obese man that lives in New York City. Though Hoffman only supplies his voice for the role, it is still a vital aspect to the movie itself. You’d never think that it would be possible to be so emotionally moved by a set of claymation figures, but this movie will definitely change that.

Because of the huge cast boasted in “Catching Fire,” I could go further with more recommendations, but the aforementioned selections are the main ones I feel that are most deserving of a watch if you haven’t seen them already. Make sure you renew your subscription to Netflix soon, because this is the first list of many to come for future recommended watches.