Wednesday, April 17, 2024
HomeNewsGunman Arrested at UCI Freed From Jail

Gunman Arrested at UCI Freed From Jail

A 28-year-old man was arrested by UC Irvine police officers for possession of a loaded firearm on Monday, Nov. 18 on a service road near Stienhaus Hall.

Identified as Manas Moole Reddy, the arrested man is a fifth-year urban studies major at UC Irvine and is being charged with illegal possession of a firearm on a college campus, unlawful possession of a firearm, and possession of ammunition by a prohibited person. He is alleged to have possessed a loaded revolver that was partially concealed within a handbag that was at his side.

An anonymous female student saw the gun and contacted UC Irvine Police shortly afterward. Police responded rapidly to apprehend the gunman and prevent a possible shooting.

“The call first came at 3:09 p.m. and the dispatcher began dispatching at 3:10,” UC Irvine Police Chief Paul Henisey said. “Our officers were on site by 3:11 and he [the suspect] was in custody and guarded by officers at 3:22.”

The suspect was apprehended by police in front of Humanities Hall and taken into custody by police.

Henisey was grateful that the student gave the police department the required information to stop the suspect and believes she should be commended on her actions.

“We would like to emphasize that the student was key to helping us find the male suspect with the gun. Thanks to her we were able to apprehend the suspect and stop him before the situation got out of hand.”

The identity of the student is being withheld by the police.

According to the UC Irvine Police Department, Reddy’s gun was cocked and his hand was partially on the gun at the time of his arrest. However, the reason for his possession of the gun and why he brought it to campus remain a mystery.

“We are continuing to look into the reasons why he had a gun in the first place.”

Reddy was arrested and released on $100,000 bail from the Orange County Jail. He is described as being 6 foot 3’, having a dark complexion and dark hair with a beard. He is not allowed on campus by court order and any student who sees him on campus is strongly encouraged to call 911 immediately.