Please Don’t Spoil the Fun

It’s that wonderful time of year again. Christmas decorations are being hung, holiday shopping deals are out, and everyone is feeling merry and bright. This is also the time of year for holiday blockbusters. From November through Christmas Day, movie theaters are packed with release after release of new films.

So far, “Thor: The Dark World” and the “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” have marked the beginning of this exciting time of year. With films such as “American Hustle” and “The Wolf of Wall Street,” along with highly anticipated sequels such as “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” and “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues,” there are plenty of reasons to go to the movies during winter break.

However, with new movies there is always one topic frequently discussed — spoilers. Yes, those fun instances when someone sees a movie first and feels that they have the right to tell you every plot twist and surprise you might experience while watching the film. The Internet has definitely had a hand in making the concept of spoilers more mainstream. For every blog post with “SPOILER ALERT” sprawled across the top of the page, there is a writer who opens his or her review by giving away the ending. What happened to wanting to be surprised? It appears as if that is a disappearing idea in society, especially for our generation.

In some cases, spoilers can be good teases. If you see your favorite TV show character in an alarming situation and it is hard for you to wait a week to see just how they get out of it, hints may be fun to help piece together a solution to the puzzle. On the other hand, the anticipation for the next episode is half the fun of getting involved.

Yet spoilers, for movies, can ruin the entire experience. How are you supposed to jump out of your seat in horror if you are anticipating the monster to jump out of the closet in the next fifteen minutes? If someone is specifically looking for a spoiler, the Internet makes one easy to find. However, do not ruin the surprise and excitement for people who wish to avoid spoilers. That’s why there is always a “Read More” option on Tumblr and other social media outlets.

In some cases, people who spoil movies for others defend their words by saying that it was in the book anyway — take “Catching Fire,” for instance. Yet many times, film adaptations of books differ entirely from their sources, so the surprise is still being taken away.

“You’ll find out anyway,” is another common reply. To this I ask the question: Did you know that was going to happen when you first saw it? If not, why ruin the surprise for me?

The cast and crew worked extremely hard for their product to be revealed in a specific way. I may be nostalgic, but I love going through the ride of watching a film or series as the crew intended it to be enjoyed, shocking plot twists and all. Spoil all you want, but please be respectful to those who wish to still be surprised.