Tyler’s Flix Pix: The Overlooked Heroes

As someone who follows news on movie blog websites every day, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve scrolled down the page to find that every third story is centered on a comic book/superhero movie. It’s nothing but (insert upcoming Marvel movie title here) this, “Batman vs. Superman” that, and more.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m always intrigued to see these films once they release, but the constant coverage of their production processes distracts most people from other movies of this genre that often go overlooked. Hence, the following recommendations will focus on films of the comic book/superhero genre that have garnered either underrated and/or cult status since their release.

First is “Super.” Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page play an eccentric ordinary superhero duo dubbed The Crimson Bolt and Boltie, who set out to fight crime in the small city they inhabit. Let me start off by saying that this movie is in no way for everyone. It’s as un-PC as a movie of this genre can get, where it’s graphically violent and twisted in its sense of humor, and sometimes both at the same time. However, if you’re able to stomach this amalgamation, you’ll most likely enjoy it, and potentially recognize its satire on superhero genre conventions.

Next is “The Crow,” an adaptation of the comic book of the same name, which stars the late Brandon Lee as a rock musician that is revived from death by the spirit of a hypnotic crow, and sets out to avenge the murder of both himself and his fiancée against the gang of thugs that killed them. For his revenge, he is also given the powers of resistance to pain and accelerated healing. Though Brandon Lee’s accidental death during production overshadowed its release, the movie itself is a sleekly styled, action-driven journey that features Lee in a very charismatic performance, in addition to a well-presented gothic portrayal of Detroit, Michigan.

Last is “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog,” a three-act tragicomedy musical series that stars Neil Patrick Harris as Dr. Horrible, an aspiring supervillain that runs a video blog on his exploits, while also battling with his nemesis, Captain Hammer, and vying for the love of his crush, Penny. Made by the god of geeks, Joss Whedon, “Dr. Horrible” is a hilarious satire on the clichés of the superhero genre, featuring one great musical number after another, and charming performances by its three leads. Also in the near-future, Joss Whedon will begin filming for his highly anticipated sequel to “The Avengers,” “Avengers: Age of Ultron.”

Comic book movies will always be a mainstay in today’s media, but the aforementioned films show that not every movie of this genre needs to conform to that status. Keep up those first-time viewings everyone, and I’ll be back soon with more suggestions.