Chancellor Drake accepts new position as Ohio State University President

Updated Feb. 3, 2014

UC President Janet Napolitano announced that UC Irvine Chancellor Michael V. Drake will be leaving UCI to serve as Ohio State University’s President in a press release on Thursday, January 30.

“I am grateful to Chancellor Drake for his more than 30 years of service to the University of California, as a faculty member, a health administrator and, finally, as UC Irvine’s fifth Chancellor,” Napolitano said in a statement earlier today.

The Ohio State University Board of Trustees unanimously voted to name UCI Chancellor Michael V. Drake as OSU’s next President during a meeting on Thursday afternoon. Jeffrey Wadsworth, chairman of the search committee for OSU’s next president, presented their recommendation to the trustees after a 169 day long search. OSU’s former president resigned in July of 2013 amid controversy over comments he made at one of the school’s Athletic Council meetings.

Members of the board mentioned Drake’s experience with medical centers and athletics as traits they needed in their new president. OSU’s student newspaper, The Lantern, reported that Drake was present to accept his new position and was “deeply honored” by the nomination.

Drake is set to be the first black president in OSU’s 144 history and will serve as the university’s 15th president overall. Napolitano announced that with the Regent’s approval, UCI’s Executive Vice Chancellor Provost, Howard Gillman, will serve as interim chancellor beginning this summer.

“In the coming weeks, I intend to convene a committee to conduct a national search to find a new chancellor for this remarkable campus, which deserves and demands the best leadership possible,” Napolitano said.

Drake has served UCI as chancellor since 2005, however, he has been a part of the University of California system for 35 years under different positions including former vice president of health affairs for the UC. He released a statement this afternoon confirming his departure.

“My career at the University of California has spanned the entirety of my adult life, from future focused days of medical school and residency, to this, my thirty-fifth year as a faculty member. I have enjoyed privileges and experiences that exceeded my imagination. My various roles as a student, physician, researcher, teacher, administrative leader, colleague, mentor and friend have been enriched beyond measure by my association with the people who make this community among the most vibrant and uplifting on earth,” Drake said.

The new OSU president is set to serve through 2019 on a five-year contract. He will retire from UCI after commencement ceremonies in June and begin his tenure at OSU starting June 30. His base pay at Ohio will begin at $800,000 and can earn an additional $200,000 each year if he accomplishes certain goals. Currently, Drake’s salary amounts to $392,000 annually.

Drake will continue his work as a distinguished opthamologist in the medical field. He will recieve tenure in the OSU College of Medicine, as well as $50,000 and labratory space to conduct his own research. Additionally, he will be given an allowance of $14,400 annually for car expenses and $12,000 per year for tax and financial planning costs.
Chancellor Drake and his wife Brenda will move into the OSU Presidential Mansion in Bexley, Ohio, for the duration of his tenure.