’12 Years’ an Oscar Winner

The 86th Annual Academy Awards aired on Sunday night, which could otherwise be termed as the “‘Gravity’ wins almost everything except Best Picture Awards.”

On that night though, two editors watched the gala unfold live, and shared their real-time-reactions to the ceremony’s most noteworthy moments. Just to make a quick disclaimer though, not every significant event of the night was covered here.

5:30-5:40 p.m.

NA: My favorite part of Ellen’s monologue was the “you showed us something in that film I have not seen in a very long time” bit at Jonah Hill.

TC: Just as funny as her jab at Jennifer Lawrence. “If you win, I think we should bring you the Oscar.”

5:40 p.m.

TC: Jared Leto is 30 seconds to his first Oscar win.

5:41 p.m.

TC: I used the perfect pun to build up to that.

NA: Haha yes you did. You also can’t go wrong with a mom speech. He sings, acts, and loves his mom. Perfect human.

6:16 p.m.

TC: “Frozen” won Best Animated Feature. I bet Hayao Miyazaki won’t be able to “let it go” that he lost.

6:25 p.m.

NA: “The Moon Song” is amazing. Karen O’s voice is so soulful.

TC: No! It’s too early for me to start getting this teary-eyed.

6:37 p.m.

NA: I just want to throw this out here — Bradley Cooper is 39, and his girlfriend is 22 … so I have a chance.

TC: And I’ll throw out that Leonardo DiCaprio is 39, and his girlfriend is 21 … so technically you have a chance with either Bradley or Leo.

NA: A girl can dream.

6:50 p.m.

NA: “The Great Beauty” won Best Foreign Film. I had mixed feelings about it, so I don’t how I feel about this.

TC: I didn’t see it, but the real question is why did Ewan McGregor look like he was trying to look like Michael Fassbender with a ponytail?

NA: I did a double take. I thought he was Fassy, too.

7:04 p.m.

NA: Greatest selfie of all-time?

TC: Very much. The “12 Years” trifecta was also great, though.

NA: Yeah but Ellen, Meryl, Jennifer, Jared, Julie, Bradley, and more.

TC: Watch it break the record for most retweets.

(It did, and also crashed Twitter.)

7:12 p.m.

NA: Fingers crossed for Lupita.

7:13-7:17 p.m.

NA: Yay!

TC: So deserving.

NA: What a lovely speech. She’s so eloquent.

TC: Even more impressive that “12 Years a Slave” was her first feature film performance.

7:29 p.m.

NA: “Gravity … is working against me.” -John Mayer. Same goes for every other movie nominated tonight.

7:58 p.m.

TC: Loved the “In Memoriam” tribute. It’s crazy how many people Hollywood lost in the past year.

NA: Especially Philip Seymour Hoffman. It’s still hard to believe he’s gone.

8:06 p.m.

NA: Dude, can they show any other clip from “Captain Phillips” other than “I’m the captain now.”

8:09 p.m.

NA: John Travolta just completely butchered Idina Menzel’s name. I swear he said “Adele Dazeme.” Not even close.

8:15 p.m.

TC: Now that it won, I’m done with “Let it Go” puns.

NA: In true Disney fashion, a rhyming speech!

8:27 p.m.

NA: Yes! “Her” finally gets some freaking recognition!

TC: It’s so soothing to know that Spike Jonze is finally an Oscar winner.

8:35 p.m.

TC: I seriously thought that when Angelina Jolie wanted Sidney Poitier to say who won Best Director, it would go to Steve McQueen. So close.

8:38-8:45 p.m.

NA: Daniel Day-Lewis. Why must we wait every five years to see him in a film?

NA: Cate!

TC: I still feel bad for not having seen “Blue Jasmine.”

NA: It deserved to win something, and she was superb in it. Also, snaps for her feminism.

8:51 p.m.

TC: Alright, alright, alright. McConaughey’s officially an Oscar winner.

8:57 p.m.

NA: We can all rest easy now that “12 Years” won Best Picture.

TC: It won only three Oscars, which is low for a Best Picture winner, but I’ll definitely take it. Such a great film!

Final Thoughts

TC: The award recipients were kind of predictable, but I loved seeing people like Spike Jonze, Matthew McConaughey, and Jared Leto win.

NA: I thought it was a very respectable awards show, overall. Jared Leto, Lupita Nyong’o, and Matthew McConaughey gave some of the most heartfelt and moving speeches I’ve heard all season.

Last but not least, Ellen DeGeneres was a great host who kept it light and fun, with her pizza boxes and selfies.