Living The Leggings Lifestyle

Let’s talk about leggings. Regardless of what some people may say about leggings – that they are sloppy and a poor choice of clothing – we’re here to defend these lovely pants as acceptable attire in the right time and place.

While you should probably not wear leggings to work, unless you work at the ARC or put together a newspaper every Sunday like we do (which is a workout in and of itself), leggings are definitely acceptable to wear for college students. Whether students are taking on a day of classes, studying at the library, working out at the gym, or even napping in Aldrich Park, leggings are a comfortable, chic way to go about the day.

Leggings are very versatile; they function as pajamas, work-out clothes, or a socially acceptable outfit to wear while grabbing coffee with friends. Leggings are also incredible travel attire. Whether you’re driving in bumper-to-bumper I-5 traffic to L.A., or flying economy to Sacramento, leggings are sure to make your travel experience more tolerable. For those reasons, leggings are a staple for the college student on the go.

The Criteria:

Now that we’ve established the importance of leggings, here is a step-by-step guide and criteria you should consider when investing in leggings. First of all, your leggings should not shine bright like a diamond in the sky. In other words, make sure your pants are not see-through. Trying on your leggings prior to purchase is crucial. Additionally, nothing is worse than a pair of leggings that sag. Your leggings should lift you up, both physically and mentally. The last thing you want to worry about while going about your day is keeping your pants up.

The Perfect Legging:

Finding the perfect legging is an art. In some ways, finding the perfect pair of leggings is like finding the perfect companion; one that flatters you, is always there when you need it most, and is ready to support you wherever, whenever. Whether they’re knee-length, capri, ankle-length, 100 percent cotton, fleece, or sheen, the perfect legging will stick with you through thick and thin.

Leggings as an Investment:

Leggings are a long-term investment. Like a companion, if you take time to pick the right one and take good care of it, it’ll be around for a long time. Also, you don’t need to spend millions on a pair of good, quality leggings. Some of the best pairs of leggings can be found at Marshall’s, Ross, or TJ Maxx, giving you the most bang for your buck. Don’t feel pressured to fall for the Lululemon craze – they are way overpriced and the CEO blamed women’s bodies for the shortcomings of these see-through pants. No need to spend your money there. You can be comfortable and cute while on a budget!

As much as we hate to say it, all good things eventually come to an end. There’s going to come a point when we’re going to graduate and make our way into the real world, which will require us to wear real pants. Until then, we hope you embrace the #LeggingsLifestyle.

Carla Kekejian is a  third-year English major. She can be reached at ckekejian@uci.edu.

Jessica Pratt is a fourth-year literary journalism major. She can be reached at jrpratt@uci.edu.