New University Editors Win Awards for Journalism

139
139

Several editors from the New University won awards at the California College Media Association’s Awards Banquet for articles written last year.
Writers for college newspapers in California were awarded for their outstanding writing and reporting at the CCMA award ceremony, which was held on Saturday, March 1st, at the Catamaran Hotel in San Diego. The awards featured writing from various California college newspapers including the USC’s Daily Trojan, UCLA’s Daily Bruin, CSLUB’s Daily 49 and UC Irvine’s The New University among others.
Former Sports Editor of the New University and UCI alumnus Ian Massey won second place for best sports piece for his article “Fragile Life of a Prospect” where he documented UCI pitcher and MLB Draft prospect Andrew Thurman before the 2013 draft.
Editor-in-Chief Jessica Pratt won first place for best features story with her article “Choreographing Confidence” which documented Assistant Professor Andrew Palermo’s dance routine designed to spread Autism awareness.
Features Editor Taylor Weik won second place for best features story with her piece “Before I Die Wall” where she documented a project by six UCI students that built a wall that allowed other people to write their goals before they die.
Finally, Managing Editor Ryan M. Cady, Entertainment Editor Tyler Christian as well as Weik won third place for best entertainment story for their collaboration on the hit show Breaking Bad titled “All Bad Things Must Come to an End” where each reflected on why they thought the show deserved the praise it received and why it should be remembered.
The next CCMA awards will take place next year in February or March. Any article written for a college newspaper before December 2014 will be eligible for submission