102

A new quarter also brings the beauty of a new season: the chirping of songbirds, the gentle sprinklings of rain, and the beckoning rays of the sun, pulling people from their winter stupor into the warm and loving hands of springtime.

But you’d be crazy to think that that’s all Spring has to offer; as April blooms into being, the patrons of the annual Coachella music festival in Indio, California, gear up for one of the most talked-about music events of the year. It’s time to wipe down your non-prescription eyeglasses, liberate your high-waisted shorts from their dresser drawer prison, and pack up your Herschel backpack with all the essentials.

Oh, what’s that? You can’t go to Coachella? Well, I guess the next two weeks of Coachella artist coverage will have to be enough. Kick back, crank up the tunes on your vintage record player, and read up on all the fun you’re missing out on.

This week’s artist is Haim, a rock trio made up of three sisters who’ve made an indelible mark on the industry in just a couple of years. Born and raised in the San Fernando Valley, the ladies of Haim (Alana, 22; Danielle, 25; Este, 28) have found immense success since the 2013 release of their first full-length album, “Days Are Gone.” The sisters, however, have been in the business of making music for quite some time.

Coming from a musical set of parents obviously paid off for the trio: Rockinhaim, a family band made up of the sisters and their parents, was the girls’ first foray into live musical performance. They couldn’t get enough of it, appearing in a variety of girl groups and backing bands (Danielle even played guitar for Cee Lo Green at one point), before deciding to form their own group in 2006. And thus, Haim was born.

It took a few years to get their career kick-started, and they eventually found themselves performing with big-name artists like Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros and Ke$ha. Their first EP, “Forever”, dropped in February of 2012. Just a month later, they made a breakthrough performance at the South by Southwest music festival in Austin, Texas; once Pitchfork got ahold of them, the rest was history.

The band’s sound is a delightful enigma; it has definite roots in psychedelic 70’s rock, but also incorporates R&B and funk pop to make for a surprisingly easy listening experience. The ladies flirt with all kinds of genres, from the decidedly rockish “The Wire” to the synthy disco vibe of “If I Could Change Your Mind.” They’ve also collaborated with artists who are at the forefront of the hip-hop industry: Kid Cudi, Childish Gambino, and A$AP Rocky, to name a few. They are a perfect representation of modern pop, blurring the lines of genre while still maintaining a completely accessible tone.

The ladies are insanely talented in their own respects, proficient in at least two instruments each with Danielle on lead vocals.  While they may technically be a “girl band,” the sisters deviate from the standard bubblegum pop and dance numbers associated with the genre. Instead, they rock leather jackets and graphic tees onstage, and carry a sarcastic rapport with their audience between songs.

Haim is a landmark group of our decade, joining the league of well-known modern indie rock groups like the Arctic Monkeys and Vampire Weekend. With their airtight harmonies, mellow demeanor, and genuine passion for all genres of music, Haim has established themselves as a band with enormous staying power and longevity.