130

Women’s Basketball

UC Irvine women’s basketball announced the signing of Ashley Merill, Mackenzie Piper and Olivia Montgomery to the program last week. The players hail from the University of Arizona, Illinois, and Citrus College respectively and look to be a welcome addition to the women’s team for the 2014-2015 season.

Men’s Tennis

UC Irvine men’s tennis run in the Big West Tournament came to a premature end at the hands of UC Davis Thursday morning in Indian Wells with a final tally of 4-0. Although the Anteaters led early on in doubles, the Aggies managed to force tie-breakers and win 8-7 at No. 1 and 3 doubles to secure the doubles point.  Irvine had a sluggish start in single, losing five out of the six opening sets, and two matches in straights to put the Anteaters down in a 3-0 bind.  Tyler Pham, Caryls Hernandez, and Ryan Cheung would bounce back to take the second set but UC Davis clinched the win when James Wade defeated Pham 6-4 in the third set. The team concludes its season 2013-2014 season with an overall record of 11-18, and 1-4 conference record in Big West play.

Women’s Tennis

UC Irvine women’s tennis secured their 7th straight appearance to the Big West Tournament final in a gritty semi-final match against third-seeded Hawai’i. UCI disposed of their opponents quickly in doubles, as the duo of Sarah Gong and Brooke Schweyer routed their opponents 8-0 at No. 2 doubles with Kat Facey Facey and Sarah Stadfelt closing out the round with an 8-4 win at No. 3. Hawai’i would respond in kind by quickly jumping to a 3-1 lead in single with straight set wins at Nos. 1, 4, and 6 singles to push to the Anteaters to the brink of elimination. However, the Anteaters refused to go quietly and Kat Facey and Franziska Goettsching would respond with straight-set wins of their own at the No. 5  and 3 positions respectively to tie the match 3-3. The fate of the match would rest on senior Marivick Mamiit’s shoulders, whom dropped the opening set 5-7, but came back to win the next two sets 6-3, 6-2 to win the decisive set. (The Final match takes place Sunday morning at 9…)

Track and Field

The ‘Eaters concluded a busy weekend as they competed at the 56th annual Mt. Sac Relays and 20th annual Beach invitational at Cerritos. Junior tommy Newton-Neal would record a personal best at the 3,000 meter steeplechase at 9:09.81 at the Mt. Sac Relays, the third best in the Big West Conference this season. In pole vaulting senior Stephen Brown finished 8th upon clearing a height of 15-11. At the 20th Beach Invitational freshman Isaiah Thompson finished 2nd in the 1500 meters event, running a career best time of 3:47.53 to beat out 111 others.

Men’s Golf

Junior Pete Fernandez was recently named Big West Conference Golfer of the Month in April. The Bakersfield Native has recorded six top-seven finish this season and leads the team with a 72.70 average. UCI’s men’s golf team begin their bid for a Big West Conference Championship Sunday as they travel to San Jacinto Sunday as the tournament’s third seed.

Women’s Golf

Freshman Kaley In and senior Ronnie Valerio each earned All-Big West honors after the final votes by conference coaches were tallied up. In was named to the All-Big West second team and led the team with a 76.00 scoring average and two top 10 finishes. Valerio earned an honorable mention with a 76.60 scoring average and a second place finish at the Black and Blue Dual match earlier this season.

Men’s Baseball

The No. 28 Anteaters sweeps UC Davis in a double-header Saturday, winning 4-2 and 4-1. Closer Sam Moore posted two saves Saturday to set a new UC Irvine single-season record with a total of 18 saves while reclaiming the national lead in the process.