News in Brief

UC Irvine Ranks First Third Year in a Row

A report released last Wednesday by Times Higher Education named UC Irvine as the top United States university under 50 years old and seventh worldwide.
“The Times Higher Education ‘100 Under 50’ is a hotlist of the world’s most dynamic and exciting universities,” Phil Baty, the rankings editor, said. “The list contains many global superstars, including some of the most exceptional and well-funded East Asian institutions, so to make it into the top 100 is a significant achievement in itself.”
Since the rankings were first introduced three years ago, UCI has been recognized as the top U.S. university under 50 years old and has been ranked in the top 10 worldwide each year.
“I would like to congratulate UC Irvine on its impressive performance once again this year, retaining its position as the highest-placed U.S. institution, and consolidating a top 10 place in the world despite significant increasing opposition,” Baty said.
The rankings are determined by performance benchmarks used in Britain-based rankings. Researching, the teaching environment, internal collaboration, citations of campus research by other scientists, and the degree to which research has spawned technical innovation were a few items that were considered during the ranking process.
“We are pleased to be named — for the third year in a row — the number one university in the nation under 50,” UCI Chancellor Michael V. Drake said. “And we’re certainly not stopping here as we approach our 50th anniversary in 2015. UC Irvine has stellar students, faculty, staff, programs and research that will make us a power and innovative educational force as we continue to grow and thrive.”

Artists for 50th Annivesary Book Cover Needed

UC Irvine’s 50th Anniversary Committee is looking for an artist to create cover art for its 176-page glossy coffee-table book cataloguing the campus’s first 50 years in existence.
Art in any medium will be accepted, and artists must provide images of previous work, a brief statement of intent, and a one page biography or resume to be considered. The deadline for entries is Wednesday, May 7.
From the initial entries, jurists will select five finalists and give each $100 to develop a proposal. After six weeks of development, the five proposals will be considered and one finalist will be chosen to create an original work of art for the book cover. The finalist will receive a $2,500 commission for his or her work on the cover.
Artists are encouraged to submit their initial entry at ucirvine.slideroom.com by tomorrow.

White House Releases Report on Sexual Assualt

The White House’s College Sexual Assault Task Force has released its first report titled “Not Alone,” which aims to find ways to engage college students and administrators to reduce cases of sexual assault on college campuses.
This report calls on college campuses to send surveys to their student bodies regarding sexual assault, enacting and expanding sexual assault awareness and prevention campaigns, and increasing responses to sexual assaults.
“Colleges and universities can no longer turn a blind eye or pretend rape and sexual assault doesn’t occur on their campuses,” Vice President and Co-Chair of the Task Force Joe Biden said in a report.
In an attempt to combat sexual assault and harassment on college campuses, President Obama created the task force on Jan. 22 this year to achieve this goal. The report lays out the groundwork for future proposals in order to reduce sexual assault, including plans for an executive order making surveys regarding sexual assault mandatory for all college campuses by 2016.
Various college administrators and presidents from across the country have responded positively to the Obama administration’s call, including University of California President Janet Napolitano.
“We applaud the White House for its attention to the serious and urgent issue of sexual assault on our nation’s college campuses. The University of California has no tolerance for sexual violence and already has implemented the key recommendations set forth in the White House task force report released today,” Napolitano said in a statement on April 29.
While campuses within the UC system have centers dealing with sexual assault, such as the Campus Assault Resources and Education (CARE) Center, Napolitano acknowledges that there is more that can be done.
“We will continue to review and improve our efforts to make sure UC is a place where all students, faculty and staff are safe.”