ASUCI Hosts Humanities Week

ASUCI hosted Humanities Week for students, which consisted of three events held during week 6.
The three events held provided a forum for students in the school of Humanities to connect more with their school, professors, resources and other students. The event was organized by Khaalidah Sidney, the Humanities representative in ASUCI’s legislative council, and was sponsored by the student government.
“The goal of Humanities Week was to connect faculty and students in the school of Humanities, but also foster pride within students to be affiliated with the school of Humanities.” Sidney said. “So it is just a reminder to be proud to be affiliated with the school, and you know, to study what you are studying, to build connections with faculty members because I feel like our school is lacking in that. It is hard to build transparency between faculty and students without that good connection.”
The first event, “Humanities and Hummus,” was a mixer where students could interact with each other and with professors. The intimate setting provided students opportunities to learn about and discuss research going on in the school of Humanities. Students also could learn about courses offered and connect with other Humanities students who are in different majors.
“For the Hummus with Humanities event, that brought about the idea of just having transparency,” Sidney said. “I talked to the dean once a quarter and he wished students were more active in telling what they want or they had a better foundation in their relationship with him.”
The most informative event of the week was the foreign language panel, held on the second night. The school of Humanities has a language requirement of two years in the same language. Professors Smith, Kian, Claxton, Kimura, Mjolshness and Morisi sat on the panel and answered questions from students. The panel covered everything from the benefits of learning a language to the professors’ favorite books in their languages.
“Language is a huge part of degree attainment, and it has a horrible stigma. You know, I ask students ‘What do you think about the language requirement? and many tell me that they wish we don’t have it. You know, it’s so hard — there are not enough resources. So that grew out of having the professors coming out to list an extensive set of resources that’s possibly available to them. So they won’t, you know, have that fear of taking a language. It is a necessity especially in the school of humanities,” Sidney said. “Language is huge and important in communication, whether it is English, whether it is Japanese or Russian, it is really important in communicating why we study human culture.”
The week ended on a entertaining note with a screening of “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” with snacks for attendees.