NFL: The Double Standard of Bigotry

The boy who cried wolf has nothing on the boy who cried bigot. This has been the war cry of the homosexual movement ever since its emergence; quick to criticize and accuse others who are not “tolerant” of their ways. Those who feel themselves so much more advanced in the state of humanity, so much more 21st century-esque because of their tolerance to the homosexual lifestyle, might want to take out a page from their own bibles. Bigotry goes both ways my friend. This could not have been more evident with the recent events of the NFL draft.

Michael Sam, the controversial football player out of Missouri because of his homosexuality, was recently drafted by the St. Louis Rams. What ensued was a barrage of liberally controlled, left wing media coverage about this one individual. His name hit the headlines moments after his draft and carried on for the next few days. Many were quick to heap praises on the man, prematurely dubbing him as the bulldozer for a newer generation of inclusivity. President Obama even went out of his way to congratulate him for “taking an important step forward in our nation’s history.” Oh, and let’s not forget he won the Arthur Ashe Award. Well, kudos to you Mr. Sam.

The White House couldn’t have said it better when they said, “you should be judged for what you do and not who you are.” Looks like the liberal media didn’t get the memo. No one knows that he is a defensive end out of Missouri, had 123 tackles over his collegiate career, and is a 6’2” SEC defensive player of the year. Instead, everyone knows him as the courageous football player who, despite all the trying circumstances, managed to get drafted into the NFL as the quintessential underdog. Again, kudos to you Mr. Sam.

There exists a double standard in this country. If you are not homosexual, a minority, or anything different like that, no one will care about you, unless they are an aficionado of the sport. If you are, then you are the second coming. You are glorified by all and given all benefit of the doubt. You’re the next Rosa Parks.

Jason Collins comes to mind. No team in the NBA wanted him, yet he was still getting superstar coverage simply because he was gay. Many were quick to blame homophobia as the reason for him not being employed by the association. Then someone picked him up, and there was a firestorm of media coverage. The First Lady eventually invited him as a personal guest to the State of the Union Address. Just because he was gay and “advancing humanity.”

This is not advancing humanity. It is not advancing humanity when the world chooses to glorify a certain type of people for one aspect of their lives. Like the White House said, you should be recognized for your achievements, not who you are. If he is gay so be it. That doesn’t give him the right to be put on a pedestal above all others.

It is not advancing humanity when another player gets fined for criticizing Sam’s drafting into the league. It is not advancing humanity when you can get fined simply because you hold an opinion contrary to “popular” belief and are then forced to apologize for your beliefs. Many NFL players were against Sam, but knew speaking out would bring consequences. This was the same issue as the Donald Sterling controversy. He had an opinion and was ridiculed for believing it.

It is not advancing humanity when Sam gets praised because of his homosexuality, but others like Tebow are openly criticized for their faithful Christianity. It is Tebow’s right to believe and practice what he believes; yet he is openly criticized for believing his faith while Sam is given a platform to preach his message? His kissing his partner after being drafted is disturbing enough, not because it is between two men but because things of that nature shouldn’t be on open television in the first place.

Call me a bigot. Call me intolerant. Call me a virus to humanity. That doesn’t take away from the fact that you doing so makes you as much of a bigot as I, because you are intolerant to my beliefs. Bigotry goes both ways, and therein lies the fundamental problem of a post-modern, relativistic society. Absolutes are thrown out the window.

David Vu is a third-year public health policy major. He can be contacted at davidnv@uci.edu.