’24’ Lives On In London

Television has historically been considered an excellent medium for commentating on society. In a post-9/11 world, the series “24” captured audiences for eight seasons, as it followed Counter Terrorist Unit (CTU) agent Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) in his attempts to foil terrorist plots, assassination attempts, and attacks on innocent lives. During its successful run, “24” won top honors at both the Golden Globe and Primetime Emmy Awards.

Courtesy of Fox Television

Courtesy of Fox Television

When it was announced that “24” would be returning as a 12-episode mini-series, I was overjoyed and I’m glad to say that “24: Live Another Day” has not let me down, as it has recaptured the thrills of the original series after it ended in 2010.

While the original series would have scenes occur over a 24-hour period, “24: LAD” does so in 12 hours, jumping time periods between certain episodes.

“24:LAD” takes place in London, where agent Jack Bauer remains a federal fugitive after the events of Season 8, continuing where the previous series left off. To protect U.S. President James Heller (William Devane) from an attempt on his life, Bauer is forced to help the CIA on the condition that he receives amnesty for his aid.

With his “at-any-costs” method of interrogating terrorism suspects, there always tends to be controversy when Bauer is on the job, even when he is the best man to get it done.

“24:LAD” has compelling characters, most notably the sinister Margot Al-Harazi (Michelle Fairley) the show’s main antagonist who wants President Heller assassinated in response to a drone attack that killed her husband. There is also the pleasant return of the intelligent and sarcastic fan-favorite Chloe O’Brian (Mary Lynn Rajskub), a loyal colleague of Bauer’s who will risk anything to help him complete his tasks.

The show is effective in its presentation of an urgent environment as it brings potential real-world issues to the small screen, giving audiences a behind-the-scenes look at the struggles and circumstances that go on between terrorists, politicians, and the agents themselves.

From explosive shoot-outs to fiery explosions, as well as a question of who is on who’s side, “24:LAD” is more than just an action thriller; it also provides a social commentary on the politics of thwarting such major global adversaries.

“24: Live Another Day” did not disappoint as it was able to successfully keep the excitement and thrills of the original series. From exciting action to riveting characters and thought-provoking writing, the mini-series is a must-see for both old and new fans of “24” alike.

RECOMMENDED: Jack Bauer is back at combating terrorists in a way that is just as exciting as the original series.