On Campus Resources for you

Below we have compiled a short series of blurbs on various resource centers that UC Irvine offers students. This does not mean that the resource centers that are listed below are better than those that aren’t listed; there are many other great resource centers here at UC Irvine that provides services to a very diverse range of needs here on campus. Remember resource centers are meant to help students, but they can’t help you if you never bother to find them.

Courtesy of UCI Veteran Services Center

Courtesy of UCI Veteran Services Center

Veteran’s Resource Center
The mission of the Veterans Center is to provide student veterans and students who are the children of veterans the resources they need to get the benefits they have been promised from the Department of Veterans Affairs and make their time at UC Irvine as enjoyable as possible.
The Center provides academic and counseling services to veterans and their family members who attend UC Irvine. Among these is the Mentorship Program in which a returning veteran is teamed up with a mentor to assist them in the transition to civilian life should they sign up. Non-military students who are interested in helping can also sign up to become mentors by visiting the Veteran’s Resource Center website at http://www.veteran.uci.edu. The Center also provides veterans with access to other veteran’s resources in Orange County for their specific needs. In addition the Veteran’s Resource Center ensures that veterans and their families have guaranteed housing while attending UC Irvine for four years or until they graduate and guarantees active duty veterans have priority registration for classes.
The Center holds several events throughout the year to honor veterans, the largest of which is the Veterans Appreciation Dinner held near the end of Spring Quarter. Other events such as movie screenings, seminars, discussions, and talks will be announced throughout the year.
The Veterans Resource Center is a part of Student Life and Leadership and provides resources to UC Irvine students free of charge. The Center is located on the third floor of the Student Center in G304 and is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Courtesy of UCI Disability Services Center

Disability Services Center
The Disability Services Center at UC Irvine provides physical and academic accommodations for students with various disabilities including orthopedic, visual, hearing, learning, chronic health and psychological disabilities among others. The Disability Center is committed to allowing all students an equal chance to succeed despite any personal handicaps.
Among the services provided by the Disability Services Center is the Ring Road Rides service, a system of carts to ferry students in need across campus should they qualify. This service and others is provided free of charge and operates from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The Center’s academic accommodations include note taking, special accommodations for tests (extended time or test taking in the Disability Center), sign language interpreters, conversion of class materials to other formats (books to tape, digital notes, larger formats), referrals to tutoring services, and others listed on their site. The Center also can provide and more serious accommodations such as extending time to complete degree requirements to graduate and priority selection for on-campus housing options should students meet certain qualifications. Students who may need such accommodations should consult with the Center as soon as possible for necessary arrangements to be made.
The Disability Services Center is located in building 313 near the School of Engineering on Ring Road and is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. Those who qualify for the accommodations listed above or others should visit their website at http://disability.uci.edu or visit their office. Applications must be submitted to the Disability Center for students to receive any of the accommodations they provide before the start of an academic quarter.
In addition to accommodations the Disability Center also provides rewards for student note takers. Applications and guidelines are available on their website.

Courtesy of UCI SOAR

Courtesy of UCI SOAR

SOAR Center
The Student Outreach and Retention Center, or SOAR Center for short provides students with a variety of programs and aids to give students help with academic and financial difficulties.
The SOAR Center provides students with free study materials and study rooms, a computer lab, and study sessions such as their “Cup of SOAR” every Tuesday where students can enjoy complementary coffee, tea, and bagels among other refreshments and “PB&J Study Jams”, study sessions on Thursdays from 10 a.m. till noon with sandwiches provided. The SOAR Center has academic counseling services available should students find themselves at risk of academic probation or need additional help with classes.
In addition to study aids, SOAR hosts a variety of programs and seminars throughout the year relating to social issues on and off campus. Last year the SOAR Center hosted several events relating to immigration with the Associated Students of UC Irvine (UC Irvine’s student government) and will likely hold more events this year. SOAR also holds several Outreach programs to high schools in the area throughout the year that students can help with.
Students with ideas for programs that are similar to these can even get grants from the SOAR Center. Applications for such grants are available on their website at soar.uci.edu.
The SOAR Center is located across from Langston Library in the Gateway Study Center 106 and is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursdays and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays. Unlike other resource centers that are provided by UCI Student Life and Leadership, The SOAR Center is funded by a student fee referendum, or in other words the center is funded directly from student fees ($6.50) every quarter. Due to increases in funding the SOAR Center will likely expand its operations throughout the year and offer more resources and events to students.

LGBT Resource Center
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resource Center, or LBBTRC for short provides students of the LGBT community with special resources and counseling that other campus resource centers are unable to provide.
Since the center’s opening in 1995 it has been committed to upholding gender diversity and providing a safe space for LGBT members, allies (those who support the LGBT community), and those who question their gender a place to freely express themselves and debate and discuss gender issues.
The LGBT Resource Center offers a variety of activities and services for LGBT community members such as the Peer Connections Program, an anonymous online chat service that is meant to provide an open and safe forum for those who wish to communicate anonymously with others in the LGBT community. In addition the LGBTRC provides weekly activities such as Thought Provoking Thursdays, a lecture series dealing with issues relating to the LGBT community.
Near the end of the year the LGBT Resource Center will hold its annual LGBT Pride Week, a series of events celebrating LGBT pride and acceptance. In addition the Center will hold other events which will be announced throughout the year.
The LGBT Resource Center is located on the third floor of the Student Center in G301 and is open Mondays through Friday from 9 a.m. till 5 p.m. The LGBT Resource Center is a part of Student Life and Leadership and is free to all UC Irvine students who request their services.

Courtesy of UCI CARE

Courtesy of UCI CARE

CARE Center
The Campus Assault Resource and Education (CARE) Center provides assistance and resources to victims of sexual or domestic assault on campus and holds programs for sexual assault prevention and awareness.
The mission of the CARE Center is to support the victims of sexual and intimate partner violence and advocate for its reduction at UC Irvine. The CARE Center is part of Student Life and Leadership and is a free on campus resource for all students.
Despite the fact that Irvine is one of the safest cities in the country, sexual assault is still prevalent on college campuses and UC Irvine is unfortunately no exception.
The CARE Center provides individual and group counseling sessions which are confidential and provided free of charge for UCI students. In addition UCI students can invite non-UCI students to these sessions as well if they feel it is necessary. If the CARE Office cannot accommodate a student’s request they will submit that request to other resource centers in Orange County.
The Center also hosts several workshop series that deal with sexual assault and abuse prevention. These workshops are listed on the CARE Center website (http://www.care.uci.edu) and can be requested by student or staff.
CARE holds various events throughout the year dealing with sexual assault awareness including California Denim Day, The Clothesline Project, and Take Back the Night which advocate ending sexual violence. The goal of these events is to advocate for sexual assault prevention and inform, the dates of these events will be announced later in the year.
The CARE Center is located on the third floor of the Student Center in G320 and is open to all students on Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Transfer Center
The Transfer Student Center aids transfers students at UC Irvine adjust to campus life and provides them the resources and counseling they need in order to succeed in a new environment.
The Transfer Center serves as a meeting center for students to get acquainted to life at UC Irvine and get access to resources that they will need. The Center has several computers and printers that are open to students in addition to Transfer Center staff to aid transfer students. The Center has counselors and information on other resource centers to help students get what they need.
The Center provides programs to help transfer students cope with new learning environments and to help socialize new students to life in Irvine. One of these programs is the Transfer Roundtables which serve as social gatherings for the transfer student community. Additionally the Center holds several Cookie and Coffee hours throughout the year and other social activities that are designed specifically for transfers.
In addition the Transfer Center serves to direct transfer students to other on-campus resources both in their office and on their website at http://www.transfercenter.uci.edu/.
The Transfer Student Center is located across from the Student Center in suite 2200 of Student Services II and is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. till 5p.m. Since the Center is a part of the Division of Undergraduate Education their services are free to all UC Irvine students who should they seek them.