Sports in Brief: Summer Edition

Baseball

UC Irvine’s baseball head coach, Mike Gillepsie, recently signed a 4-year contract extension that will allow him to reside over the team up until 2018.

Gillepsie’s contract extension comes after the conclusion of a highly successful 2014 campaign, where the Anteaters made their second appearance in the College World Series. Under Gillepsie’s guidance, UC Irvine defeated No. 1 national seed Oregon State and Big 12 champion Oklahoma State at the Stillwater Super Regional en route to securing a berth at Omaha.

With 43 years of coaching experience under his belt and a spot in the American Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame, Gillepsie looks to continue establishing UC Irvine as one of the most elite teams amongst the Big West. Following a 20-year stint at USC where he guided the Trojans to 14 postseason appearances and four conference titles, Gillepsie joined the Anteater family as UCI’s head coach in 2007.

Since assuming the mantle of head coach, Gillepsie led the program to its first Big West Conference championship in 2009, and a top three finish in the Big West out of his seven seasons. He earned honors as the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association National Coach and Big West Region Coach of the Year following the Anteater’s successful postseason run.

Golf

UC Irvine standout Pete Fernandez placed seventh at the 115th Southern California Golf Association Amateur Championship at the Rancho Santa Fe Golf Club.

The rising senior shot 1-under 71 in the final round to finish with a 72-hole total of eve-par 288, finishing 5-under par in the last two rounds. Fernandez was a 2014 All-Big West Conference first-team selection, where he led UC Irvine with a 73.06 average and six top-10 finishes.

Fellow Anteater Bhuvan Potluri also competed at the SCGA Amateur, finishing in 45th place after shooting 87 on the final day to finish at 309.

Kaley In emerged triumphant at the Women’s Amateur U.S. Open Qualifier held at the Palos Verdes Golf club, to qualify for the U.S. Amateurs. Shooting a 2 over-par 73, In found herself in a six-way tie for the final qualifying spot, which she secured by birdying the second playoff hole.

A rising sophomore, In was named to the All-Big West second team as the team’s scoring leader with a 76.00 scoring average over 22 rounds.

Basketball

UC Irvine’s starting pair, Luke Nelson and Alex Young, have kept themselves busy over summer by captaining the under-20 squad of Great Britain in the European U20 Championships.

In the opening round, the tandem led Great Britain in scoring, with 17 points from Young and 13 from Nelson to edge out last year’s runners-up Latvia 64-62 in a hotly-contested game. Undoubtedly the highlight of the tournament for the Anteaters came about in their match against Greece, where Nelson drained a game-winning three-pointer with fourth tenths of a second left in regulation, to clinch a stunning 69-66 victory against the U20 European Championship hosts.

With Young and Nelson’s assistance, the team made history by becoming the first Great Britain under-20 team to advance to the second round of the European Championships. Ultimately, the squad finished 11th, a feat to be proud of considering it was their inaugural championship campaign at the Division-A level.

Tennis

UC Irvine’s women’s tennis program was named as one of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s All-Academic Teams for the 2013-2014 school year, with Seniors Franziska Goettsching and Brooke Schweyer earning Scholar-Athlete honors as well.

To earn All-Academic honors, an ITA program must earn a cumulative team grade point average of 3.20 or above on a 4.00 scale. The GPA of any student-athlete who is eligible to compete and has competed in at least one or more varsity matches is factored into the cumulative average.

ITA Scholar-Athletes face a stricter curriculum, as they must earn a grade point average of at least 3.5 in addition to being a varsity letter winner and being enrolled at their current school for the last 2 semesters.

It is Schweyer’s fourth time being named a Scholar-Athlete and she is the first Anteater in school history to be awarded that distinction. Goettsching earns the honor for the second straight season, and it is the program’s third time being placed on the All-Academic list.

Men’s tennis player Jonathan Hammel was also named an ITA Scholar-Athlete for the second straight year, and is the only Anteater and player in the Big West to make the list.