Garfunkel & Oates: Are They Living Up to Their Stage Name Potential?

You may recognize this comedy duo from their amusing, raunchy songs that are continuously circulating YouTube- perhaps you know their song, “The Loophole”. If you do listen to their hits you may realize that some songs are excruciatingly wrong. However it is amusing how these two gals are going about educating others on sexuality and relationships.

The pair, Kate Micucci (Oates) and Riki Lindhome (Garfunkel), are now costars in a new show, “Garfunkel and Oates”. As their stage names suggest, they are a musical couple like Simon and Garfunkel or Daryl Hall and John Oates- and surprisingly, they too feature a tall blonde and a shorter brunette.

Much like the names they have taken on, they will be adding to the list of hits that people can’t help but listen to, but not in the way one would expect. For example, Simon and Garfunkel sang the beautiful “Mrs. Robinson” that we will be humming along to for generations to come; to contrast vividly from that, Garfunkel and Oates have written “Pregnant Women are Smug.” I mean, of course they’re a comedic band so you expect some sort of disparity, and indeed differences are abundant, as Micucci and Lindhome have landed a spot on television.

You may recognize Kate Micucci from her role as Raj Koothrappali’s uncommunicative girlfriend in “The Big Bang Theory.” Leaving her quiet days behind, she has risen up and gained plenty more speaking opportunities on her very own show. The first episode is titled “The Fadeaway,” and began very slow in comparison to their fast-paced songs.

The slowness of the show in fact contributes to its crazy awkwardness and leaves you experiencing a pretty long twenty-two minute time period. Within the first episode we are exposed to the plot line- the two comedians striving to make their way in Los Angeles, which coincidentally enough is the plot line of their actual life; the two play themselves and are in fact comedians from – guess where? Los Angeles.

Despite the sluggish moments, there were times where I thought the writing was clever and their allusions to historical events were very fitting, but oh boy did I have to anticipate those instances, as they followed very drawn-out scenes. One of those anticipated, humorous parts appears when Micucci is called to play a very sensual character in an audition and ends up being refused business at a store due to the fact that she’s a “prostitute.”

The episodes to follow do indeed pick up the pace, perhaps due to the fact that there was a successful plot line at work. Exemplary of this is their third episode, which introduces a funny notion- do guys prefer girls who really don’t talk much? Anyhow, to further explore this notion the pair goes on a double date where they stay mute for as long as they possibly can (people don’t try this at home) to see if there is some truth to the theory.

Although I believe the comedy within “Garfunkel and Oates” is at times very forced (I would describe it as Gretchen Wieners trying to make ‘fetch’ happen), the show is a comedy you really have to see for yourself. Their vulgar jokes may set you off laughing and their plot lines seem to be looking up from the pilot- so perhaps after watching a whole day of “Orange is the New Black” take a break and give “Garfunkel and Oates” a try!

Only Recommended If: you enjoy crude humor, and if you don’t mind a show where you have to wait a bit for the funny plot line to really kick in.