217

Mens Soccer Wraps Up Non-Conference Play at UNLV

UC Irvine men’s soccer wrapped up its non-conference schedule at the University of Las Vegas against Utah Valley at the UNLV Rebel Classic on Sunday, beating/losing to the Wolverines 0-0.

Headed into Sunday’s match, the ‘Eaters remain undefeated through their previous eight matches. With Sunday’s victory, the ‘Eaters now stand undefeated through their preseason schedule and look to be in great shape heading into Big West Conference Play.

As a result of the Anteater’s near perfect exhibition, UC Irvine has been bumped up to No. 4 in the National Soccer Association of America (NSCAA) Continental Tire College Rankings last week. The occasion marks the highest ranking achieved by the program, exceeding its No. 5 ranking in Sept. of 2011.

Redshirt senior Gor Kirakosyan was named the Big West Offensive Player of the Week after successfully scoring two game-winning overtime goals. Kirakosyan’s heroics began at Sullivan Field against Loyola Maramount University, where he capitalized on a go-ahead penalty kick at the 105th minute in overtime. Three days later Kirakosyan would bring home the win for UCI yet again scoring in the 92nd minute of overtime against UC Davis following a scoreless tie.

The ‘Eaters open Big West play this week as they travel to Cal Poly on Thursday and back up towards UC Santa Barbara on the 4th.

Women’s Soccer

UC Irvine women’s soccer team fell 2-1 to LMU in the final match of its non-conference schedule at Anteater Stadium Friday.

Laura McGrail scored in the 44th minute to give the ‘Eaters the advantage before heading into halftime. Despite having a 12-3 shot lead in the second half, LMU’s defense held firm to keep the ‘Eaters from widening their lead. LMU managed to take advantage of the few opportunities it found to convert a goal on two occasions, the first coming at the 58th minute and the second at the 70th minute to come away with the win.

Prior to Friday’s game, the Anteaters were riding a six-game unbeaten streak, which includes a draw against No. 14 USC and a 2-1 victory against No. 19 Oklahoma. UC Irvine currently holds an all-time record of 7-7-1 against ranked opponents.

The Anteaters will have a week to rest before heading north towards Riverside to begin Big West play.

Mens Water Polo

No. 9 UC Irvine began play in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Saturday morning, falling 17-9 to No. 1 UCLA at their home field in the Spieker Aquatics Complex.

The Anteaters jumped to an early 2-0 lead courtesy of Lovre Milos and Matt Skinner in the opening two minutes, but the Bruins quickly responded with four consecutive goals to take the lead. UCLA would score another four goals in the second quarter to go into halftime with an 8-3 lead.

UCLA outscored UCI 5-2 in the third quarter, with Milos and Skinner being the lone Anteaters to score and cutting the lead to 11-5. In the fourth quarter the Anteaters had their best offensive showing, countering each of LA’s goals with one of their own to end the quarter with a 4-4 tie and a final score of 17-9.

The men’s water polo team will travel to Stanford next Saturday for an MPSF conference game, and back down to UCLA for the SoCal Tournament the following week before returning home to play.

Mens Cross Country

At the 41st Stanford Invitational last Saturday, senior Alex Tebbe led UCI for the third straight meet, finishing 11th with a time of 24:02 over 8,000 meters at the Stanford Golf Course.

Tebbe previously finished 13th with a time of 26:26.2 at the Mustang Challenge at Central Park in Santa Clarita and second in the Adidas/UCI Invitational, clocking in at 25:40.8 at the Anteater Recreation Center Fields.

With a combined total of 261 points, UC Irvine placed 11th as a team, while Washing State took 1st with 73 points.

The Anteater’s next meet will take place on Saturday Oct. 11 at the Vanguard Invitational at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa.

Women’s Cross Country

Finishing the 6,000 meter course in 22:50 at the 41st Stanford Invitational, senior Kaycee Holcomb led her fellow Anteaters throughout the Stanford Golf Course.

UC Irvine finished 18th as a team with 449 points, while Stanford emerged victorious with 71 points.