Sports in Brief

Women’s Soccer
Women’s soccer fell to preseason favorites Cal Poly 2-1 at Anteater Stadium Friday night. The mustangs scored two quick goals in the first half. It wouldn’t be until the 55th minute that UCI would cut the lead in half. However Mustang keeper Alyssa Giannetti would shut out the ‘Eater offense for the rest of the match, sealing the score at 2-1
In Duke’s Black and Blue Rivalry series, UCI and Long Beach State played for a 1-1 draw in the year’s first meet.
The game went into overtime with a standstill, ending the game in a draw.
Fourth-year Jenna Pellegrino played the 72nd match of her career. With the final six regular season matches coming up, Pellegrino may tie Zoya Farzaneh and Mar Rodriguez for tenth all-time in matches played at 78.
The 2014 Anteater team are Coach Juniper’s third team to manage four or more home wins in non-conference play with a total record of 47-31-7.
Women’s Golf
UC Irvine women’s golf team scored a 314 on last Tuesday and finished in 15th with a score of 976 (318-344-314) over a three-day period.
Second-year Kaley In has reached her second consecutive top 20 finish last Tuesday at the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational at the University of Texas, Golf Club. She ended with a score of 228 (71-84-73). During the tournament, she scored a one over-par 73 which ended up being the third best among the tournament’s participants.
During the invitational, the Anteaters joined the rest of the tournament in a “Pink Out,” where all players wore pink uniforms to support Breast Cancer Awareness.
Men’s Water Polo
No. 10 UC Irvine men’s water polo defeated No. 7 Pacific at the Anteater Aquatics Complex Saturday afternoon, final score of 17-10. Taking an 11-2 lead into the half, the Anteaters never looked back after jumping to a lead. Goalkeeper Dylan Peter stopped 13 total shots to keep the Tigers at Bay and hold onto the Anteater’s first conference win.
Earlier this month, men’s water polo went into overtime against the UCSD Tritons where UCI’s Larson Pfeil scored a goal in the three-minute period of overtime. UCSD’s David Higginson went on to score two goals in the following minutes ending the game with a score of 8-7 to defeat the ‘Eaters.
The Anteaters emerged victorious in their next two games against St. Francis (N.Y.) and Pepperdine, respectively finishing 15-7 and 16-9.
In their next game against Princeton, they were defeated by a late goal by the Tigers, ending with a final score of 11-10.
Men’s water polo overall ranking currently stands at 12-6.
Men & Women’s Cross Country
Men’s cross country competed in the Highlander Invitational at Riverside, and saw two Anteaters place in the top-five. Alex Tebbe finished second with a time of 17:51.8, while Isaiah Thompson was fifth at 18:03.7 at the UCR Agricultural Operations Course. Irvine finished fourth in the contest with 79 points.
Last weekend, second-year Isaiah Thompson stood out and was selected as Big West Conference Athlete of the Week by winning the 8,000 meter race at the 25th Vanguard Invitational with a time of 24:51.4. His run put UCI at a second place finish.
Women’s Cross Country also traveled to Riverside for the Highlander Invitational this past weekend. Senior Kaycee Holcomb led the Anteaters for the third meet this season, finishing 17th with a time of 18:18.0 over 5,000 meters. UCI finished sixth in the Highlander Invitational with 148 points.
Earlier this month, UCI finished sixth at the Vanguard Invitational with fourth-year, Lauren Hall placing 23rd overall, which ranks third amongst NCAA Division I runners.