‘Arrow’ Hits the Bullseye Again

Courtesy of the CW

Courtesy of the CW

Superheroes seem to be the most popular topic of today’s movies and television shows. The epic action, the hidden back story, the secret identities, the complicated love … the eventful lives of heroes has pulled in audiences of every age. The CW’s “Arrow” has just entered their third season with more “POW” than ever before.

This new season brings us a whole new world of action. New villains such as Ra’s al Ghul, come onto the scene along with other familiar faces. And of course, with more back story, comes more secrets to share. The last season revealed that Oliver hadn’t spent the entire five years on the island. His little sister Thea Queen (Willa Holland), has been getting fighting lessons from a character we thought was gone for good. Of course, with new developments come new romances. Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards), the hacking genius of Team Arrow, is shown to have a deeper affection for Oliver that I hope continues to grow.

The premiere episode of season three begins on an interesting but upbeat note. Everything is working out well for Team Arrow and has brought along exciting new developments. The crime rate is low but the city is still failing and people seem to have lost hope in positive change.

And as usual, there’s a new bad guy roaming the streets. But at the end, even after defeating the criminal, a tragic death occurs which brings the team morale down. The next two episodes follow the trail of the new killer archer that quickly grows cold. We also get a closer look into Oliver’s time in Hong Kong before he came home and each character has inner demons they have to deal with.

The story continues when Oliver decides to draw his attention back to Thea, who’s supposedly been in Italy, away from all the lies of her family. Oliver, Diggle and Roy all go to try and bring her back successfully, but with a whole new set of questions that will be revealed throughout this new season.

I’ve always enjoyed watching the “Arrow” character development because it’s achieved through inspiration and winning words. If Oliver is struggling with what he has become, Felicity wouldn’t pity him but rather remind him of how far he’s come and tell him to keep helping people. Every character has reached out to each other in one way or another. The one element that has always drawn me in is the developing plot. You learn something new every episode, no matter how significant.

“Arrow” consistently keeps you on the edge of your seat and your loyalty to the characters will grow with every episode. The show will always leave you wondering what’s next, knowing that Starling City will always be safer with the Arrow correcting wrongs and protecting his home.

RECOMMENDED: If comics and heroes excite you, then you’ll definitely want to check out this show to see what else DC comics have in store.