New U’s Midterm Election Guide

Prop 1: Water Bond Funding for Water Quality, Supply, Treatment and Storage

Authorizes 7.545 billion in privately bought general obligation bonds for state water supply and infrastructure projects including surface and groundwater storage, ecosystem and watershed protection and restoration and drinking water protection. Does not cause a direct raise in taxes.

Prop 2: California Rainy Day Fund

Requires annual transfer of state general fund revenues to budget stabilization account. Existing state debts will likely be paid faster. Establishes a rainy day fund and encourages fiscal responsibility.

Prop 45: Healthcare Insurance Rate Changes

Rates or anything else affecting the charges associated with health insurance for individual and small group health insurance will need to be approved by the Insurance Commissioner whereas now, state regulators have power of review.

Prop 46: Drug and Alcohol Testing of Doctors

Requires hospitals to drug test physicians associated with such hospital. Requires health care officials to review a statewide prescription database before prescribing a controlled substance to a patient for the first time. Increases pain and suffering cap in medical malpractice lawsuits. Requires reporting of suspected physician misconduct.

Prop 47: Criminal Sentences and Misdemeanor Penalties

Requires misdemeanor sentence instead of felony for certain non-serious, non-violent drug/ property offenses. Does not apply to persons with prior convictions.

Prop 48: Indian Gaming Compacts

A vote “Yes” will allow / a vote “No” will not allow the North Fork Rancheria of Mono Indians to construct and operate a new casino in Madera County. The North Fork will make various payments to state and local governments as well as the Wiyot Tribe as negotiated.