Sports in Brief

Women’s Volleyball
UC Irvine women’s volleyball split a pair of games on the road as they traveled up the coast to take on UC Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo last weekend.
In a match that saw the return of outside hitter Marisa Bubica, the Anteaters topped Cal Poly 3-1 (26-24, 21-25, 25-20, 25-15) Friday night at the Mott Athletics Center. Bubica showed little signs of rust, contributing a team high 18 kills while shooting at a .341 clip. The Anteaters had 10 team blocks for the evening and held the Mustangs to a .141 clip. With the win, the Anteaters scored their second win of the season over Cal Poly put an end to their two-game losing streak.
Playing against UC Santa Barbara the following night, UC Irvine fell in four sets (25-23, 25-16, 15-25, 25-17) at the Thunderdome.
Arielle Manz was errorless, posting a .611 shooting percentage as she converted on 11 of 18 attempts. The duo of Allison Lee and Cassidy Pickrell, whom typically jumpstart the Anteater’s offensive efforts, were held to a combined total of ten points at five points apiece.
Men’s Water Polo
UC Irvine dropped two games over the weekend, falling to an overall record of 13-11 and 1-6 in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation.
Traveling to La Jolla, the No. 12 Anteaters fell to the sixth-ranked Tritons 10-9 in a non-conference match at the Canyonview Aquatic Center Saturday afternoon. UC Irvine has played UC San Diego twice already, falling short both times in games decided by one goal. The third time would not be the charm, as the Anteaters once again lost to the Tritons by a one-goal deficit.
Patrick Herrin | New University

Patrick Herrin | New University

Hosting the Trojans the next day afternoon at the Anteaters Aquatics Complex, UC Irvine fell to third ranked USC 14-1 in a conference match. Lovre Milos led with three goals, while Kyle Trush and Matt Skinner contributed two goals each.

USC entered the fourth quarter holding a 10-6 advantage and led by as much as six-point before a goal by Jacob Mourer and Milos closed out scoring in regulation to trim the deficit to four.
Men’s Golf
UC Irvine completed their third round of the Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic Sunday to improve their standings by two spots for a tenth place finish.
The Anteaters improved upon their previous day’s performances by 24 shots, shooting 290 to finish the 54-hole tournament with a total of 882. Freshman David Kim led the Anteaters, finishing 29th with 219 shots. Junior Jacob Schulze placed 29th with 221 shots while Pete Fernandez landed in 43rd place with 22.
Oregon placed first at the tournament with a total score of 819, with North Florida and Georgia placing second and third respectively.
Sunday marked the final round of play for the Anteaters, as their next tournament is scheduled for Feb. 9-10 at the Barona Collegiate Cup at the Barona Creek Golf Club.