Anteater Week in Sports

337
337

Men’s Soccer

UC Irvine’s men’s soccer team’s NCAA Tournament ended on the east coast as the Anteaters fell to Providence College 1-0, in Rhode Island Sunday night.
The match up was a dead heat until a goal by Markus Naglestad at 76:10 lifted the eleventh-seed Friars over the Anteaters. Providence moves on to play No. 3 Michigan in the NCAA quarterfinal match on Friday.
Chris Volk’s first year as head coach saw the Anteaters finishing with an overall record of 16-6-3. It is the program’s second consecutive trip to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen and their third within the past seven years.

Patrick Herrin | Staff Photographer

Men’s Water Polo
No. 6 UC Irvine (15-14) concluded its season with a loss against eighth-seed UC Santa Barbara (11-15) in the seventh place consolation match at the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) Championships at the Ken Lindgren Aquatics Center in Long Beach Sunday on November 23rd.
With a strong offensive surge, the Gauchos scored eight goals in the opening half to carry an 8-2 lead into halftime. Thanks to strong defensive showings from both sides, the Anteaters and Gauchos were limited to just two goals apiece in the third. Neither team fared much better offensively in the fourth, with the quarter’s lone goal coming from senior Justin Papa in the closing seconds to bring the final score to 10-5.
In the opening round of the tournament UC Irvine squared off against third-seed USC, where they were unable to stifle the Trojan offense. USC set the tone of the match early, scoring the first five goals of the match en route to a 12-5 victory.
Dropped down to the semifinals of the consolation bracket, the Anteaters were narrowly defeated by seventh-seed Pepperdine, 12-11, in overtime the following day. Coming into the fourth trailing 6-9, the Waves outscored the Anteaters 5-2 to force the game into extra periods where they clinched the match off a goal by Charles Olsen.
Sophomore Lovre Milos was named to the 2014 All-Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Honorable Mention team. A transfer from UCLA, Milos leads the MPSF in scoring with 92 goals in 29 games with an average of 3.17 goals per game.
Goalkeeper Dylan Peterson had 180 saves on the season, which translates to a MPSF-best of 11.90 saves per game.

Women’s Volleyball
UC Irvine women’s volleyball team wrapped up their regular season with two games on the road last week. Facing off against their Black and Blue Rivals on Nov. 26, the Anteaters fell to No. 16 Long Beach State in a straight set loss (19-25, 20-25, 17-25) at the Walter Pyramid. Sporting a perfect 14-0 record in the Big West Conference, the 49’ers were in impressive form, having swept their previous four opponents.
LBSU held UC Irvine to a mere .070 hitting percentage, and posted 12 blocks to the Anteater’s four. Sophomores Cassidy Pickrell and Victoria Dennis combined for 23 kills, while Shelley Anderson contributed a match-high 30 assists alongside two aces.
Following Thanksgiving Break, the Anteaters returned to action for the final game of their season, traveling up north on Saturday to face off against Cal State Northridge. Riding a hot streak of their own, the third ranked Matadors had swept their previous five opponents, with their most recent victory coming at the expense of Cal State Fullerton.
In an upset, the Anteaters emerged victorious after four sets (28-26, 16-25, 25-23, 27-25) to spoil Senior Night for the Matadors at the Matadome. Junior Marisa Bubica matched a career-high with a .455 hitting percentage and produced 24 kills for the Anteaters off the bench. Senior Allison Lee concluded her collegiate career with 17 kills and 12 digs for her 16th double-double of the season, while fellow senior Molly Yoder led the defensive effort with 13 digs.
With an overall record of 19-12 and 9-7 in the Big West, the Anteaters finish the conference in fifth place. The 19 wins are the second-most accumulated in a season under head coach Paula Weishoff.

Volleyball_W_UCI_vs_UCR_Nov13_Chris_L-3704
Chris Lee | Staff Photographer

Women’s Basketball
Holding a dismal record of 1-6, UC Irvine women’s basketball team dropped three non-conference games on the road last week.
On Monday the Anteaters traveled to South Dakota, where they suffered a 96-52 defeat at the Dakota Dome. South Dakota capitalized off of turnovers by UCI, converting 19 turnovers into 19 points and 17 points off of second chances. The Coyotes carried a 56-31 lead into halftime and outscored the Anteaters 40-21 in the second half.
After a three-day break, UC Irvine traveled to Loyola Marymount to partake in the DoubleTree LA Westside Thanksgiving Classic Friday afternoon. In the opening round, the Anteaters were defeated by Bowling Green 62-54. Trailing 61-34 at 4:50, UC Irvine mounted an 18-0 run to trim the lead to 61-52 off a three pointer by freshman Jenny Dee. However, with only 50 seconds remaining in regulation, the deficit proved too much for the Anteaters to overcome.
In the consolation round UC Irvine fell to UAB (University of Alabama, Birmingham) in overtime 69-65. Senior Methlyn Onogomuho tied a career-high with 20 points and 13 rebounds, while freshman Brittany Glassow chipped in a career-high of her own with 10 rebounds.
Trailing 56-58 at 0:16, senior Madison McKenney scored with one second remaining on the clock to force overtime. The Blazers scored the first five points and never looked back, outscoring the Anteaters 11-7 in the extra period for the win.
Onogumo was named to the all-tournament team for her performance.

DSC_1060 (1)
Anthony Hurtado | Staff Photographer

Men’s Basketball
Playing a team they haven’t met in 12 years, the Anteaters were edged out by Saint Mary’s 69-72 on Nov. 23 at the McKeon Pavilion.
Both teams were neck-and-neck throughout the match, before the Gaels pulled away in the closing seconds.
A dunk by Mamadou Ndiaye provided UC Irvine with a one point lead at 1:16, but a pair of free throws by Brad Waldow allowed Saint Mary’s to retake the lead at 70-69 with less than 20 seconds to go. Senior Travis Souza missed a three-point shot with four seconds remaining, forcing the Anteaters to Aaron Bright to the line where he clinched the win.
Sophomore Luke Nelson led UC Irvine with 19 points and six assists, while Ndiaeye added 14 points and seven rebounds.
Last Saturday night, the Anteaters faced a familiar foe in Loyola Marymount at the Gersten Pavilion. Scoring a career-high 21 points, Ndiaye led UC Irvine to a 80-72 victory against the Lions.
Senior Will Davis II earned the 10th double-double of his career with 17 points and 12 rebounds. Travis Souza was deadly from the three point line, hitting four out of five for a career-high of 16 points; Luke Nelson reached a career high of his own with nine rebounds.

Patrick Herrin | Staff Photographer
Patrick Herrin | Staff Photographer