Woodbridge High Freshman Stabbed

A male freshman student was stabbed last Wednesday at Woodbridge High School in Irvine during the school’s lunch period. Shortly after, his presumed attacker was arrested.

Irvine police officers responded to the incident at approximately 12:40 p.m. Police say the source of the altercation was a gym class argument over a cell phone. The school was not locked down, as students were out for lunch and had not returned yet.

Paramedics transported the boy to the trauma unit at Western Medical Center in Santa Ana, according to Orange County Fire Authority spokesman Capt. Steve Concialdi.

According to Irvine police spokeswoman Farrah Emami, the victim was conscious and breathing when he arrived at the hospital. The injuries he sustained were serious but not life-threatening.

The attacker, another freshman male, fled to his nearby home on foot but was arrested shortly after at 1:10 p.m.

“This is an isolated incident and no additional danger is posed to students related to this incident,” Emami said.

Following the incident, school staff and Irvine detectives conducted an investigation and found the weapon.

Other students witnessed the stabbing, according to a statement from Woodbridge principal Christopher Krebs. The high school plans to bring in additional counseling support from the district.

The attacker’s and victim’s names are not being released because they are minors.