Trainor’s ‘Title’ Offers a Solid Pop Throwback

Courtesy of Epic Records

Courtesy of Epic Records

Within the span of mere months, singer and songwriter, Meghan Trainor, has become one of pop music’s most promising stars. Her first single “All About That Bass” launched her to stardom but many critics predicted that she would be a one-hit wonder and soon fall into an ocean of obscurity. Trainor dispels such predictions with the release of her debut studio album, “Title.”

The album opens with the interlude “The Best Part.” The track style is near-acapella and showcases the strength of  Trainor’s vocal ability. Unfortunately, the length of the song is slightly over 20 seconds. Trainor should have considered making this track a little longer as it had so much potential. Nonetheless, “The Best Part” is a great way to start off the album.

Next up on “Title” is one of 2014’s biggest singles, “All About That Bass.” Its doo-wop vibe is in stark contrast from most of the pop music on the radio these days. The single is very similar in nature to three other songs on the album: “Dear Future Husband,” “Close Your Eyes” and “Lips are Movin,” all of which are bound to impress fans of bubblegum pop.

Early on in the album, Trainor sets up this throwback atmosphere, transporting listeners back to the 1950s, but some tracks do not jive with the rest of the album. She sings “3am” in the style of Lily Allen, circa 2006. On “Bang Dem Sticks,” Trainor raps à la Nicki Minaj. These songs are great but they disrupt the cohesiveness of the album as a whole. It would have been best if Trainor had removed these songs and possibly released them on an EP instead.

One of the defining features of “Title” is, ironically, a low amount of features. The two artists Trainor collaborated with are John Legend and Shy Carter and the latter’s song with Trainor is available only on the deluxe edition of the album. Ariana Grande featured Mac Miller and Big Sean, among others, on her first album “Yours Truly” and even Lady Gaga collaborated with Colby O’Donis and Flo Rida on “The Fame”. Thus, one would have expected Trainor, who was relatively unknown not too long ago, to feature at least three or four artists on her debut album so her singles could get more airplay and top as many national charts as possible.

Perhaps this is what sets Trainor apart from her contemporaries: she does not need to rely on other artists to boost her sales and her popularity. This is a risky move for her but certainly an admirable one. Overall, Ms. Trainor has certainly set the bar high for other pop albums releasing later this year. With “Title,” she proves that there is more to her than just “That Bass.”  Hopefully, 2015 will be full of good fortune for the soulful songbird.

RECOMMENDED: “Title” is a refreshing gust of bubblegum pop and doo-wop.