Sports in Brief

Women’s Tennis

UC Irvine women’s tennis team wrapped up a two-game road trip to the Hawaiian Islands over the weekend with a pair of 4-3 wins.
The Anteaters were first put to the test Friday afternoon, against Division II juggernaut No. 6 Hawai’i Pacific at the University of Hawai’i Tennis Complex. Upon splitting the round of singles, UC Irvine secured the doubles point with a clean sweep to clinch the win.
On the second day of their stay at the islands, the Anteaters were once against pushed to their limits against another formidable foe in No. 56 Hawai’i, who defeated No. 29 Kentucky in their season opener.
Hawai’i struck first in doubles action as partners Rebecca Faltusz and Viktoria Malova defeated Vivien Dvali and Mazy Watrous 8-3 at the No. 3 spot. UCI’s twin tandem of Ali and Kat Facey quickly evened the score with a narrow 8-6 win in No. 1 doubles. With the doubles point riding on the outcome of their match, Sarah Gong and Arisa Ladhani pulled through for the Anteaters in dramatic fashion, winning 8-7 (3) in a tiebreaker.
Carrying the 1-0 into singles, UC Irvine quickly capitalized with three straight-set wins from the Faceys and Dvali to guarantee their win. The Anteaters improve to an overall record of 7-2 and 2-0 in the Big West.

Men’s Tennis

UC Irvine men’s tennis team came heartbreakingly close to pulling off an upset win of their against No. 48 Pepperdine Saturday, but ultimately dropped a 4-3 decision to the Waves.
The Anteaters took the opening doubles point with ease following dominant wins at No. 2 and 3 doubles.
Tyler Pham stretched UCI’s lead to 2-0 with a straight set victory at No. 4 singles but Pepperdine responded with wins at No. 1, 4 and 6 singles to take a 3-2 lead. Shuhei Shibahara put a stop to the bleeding with a third set tiebreak win at No. 3 singles to keep the Anteater hopes for an upset alive.
With the score tied 3-3, it came down to No. 2 singles, where Nico Mertens was narrowly edged by Guilherme Hadlich in three sets, 3-6, 7-6 and 7-5 to give the Waves the victory.
Following a road trip to Las Vegas where the Anteaters defeated No. 45 Boise State two weeks prior, the team has secured themselves a place on the national rankings list at No. 75.
UC Irvine drops to an overall record of 4-8, where they are 1-0 in conference play.

Men’s Volleyball

A week after making quick work of the Stanford men’s volleyball team in straight sets at the Bren in a mere hour and 19 minutes, fourth-ranked UC Irvine was nearly swept themselves before coming back to defeat the Cardinal (3-2, 25-27, 27-25, 25-27, 25-20, 15-9) at Maples Pavilion Friday.
Tamir Herhsko once again proved pivotal in the Anteater’s win against Stanford, as the outside hitter paced the team with a season-high 22 kills, while opposite Zack La Cavera posted 19 kills, four service aces and a career-high 13 digs. Outside hitter Travis Woloson enjoyed a career-best of 12 kills alongside six digs. UCI’s defense saw middle blocker Andrew Benz add six kills and a team high six total block assists, while Michael Brinkley finished the evening with 12 digs.
Stanford was led by Madison Hayden, whom recorded a match-high 23 digs and alongside 12 digs.
UC Irvine had a hitting percentage of .333 for the evening while the Cardinal hit for .269.

Women’s Basketball

UC Irvine’s season woes continued as the team suffered a 82-60 loss to Cal State Northridge at the Matadome Saturday afternoon.
Freshman Tierra Hicks led the Anteaters with a career-high 16 points and seven rebounds, scoring 14 of her 16 points in the final six minutes of regulation. Sophomore Mokun Fajmeisin grabbed a game-high nine rebounds alongside three blocks, while fellow sophomore Shereen Sutherland added 12 points.
In the first half, the score was tied 10-10 before the Matadors opened the game with a 13-0 run with 10:59 to go. CSUN continued to build on their lead and ended the first half 49-26. The Matadors extended their lead to 58-28 early in the second and were never threatened by the Anteaters.
With the loss, UCI women’s basketball team drops to an overall record of 5-22 and are 2-10 in conference.