413
Courtesy of Tristan Lim
Courtesy of Tristan Lim
Courtesy of Tristan Lim
Courtesy of Tristan Lim

It’s early in the morning. Stone’s ears are ringing and he’s driving on an empty freeway. His friend is asleep in the front seat and Stone himself is starting to fall asleep. Even though he’s wearing a sweatshirt and pants, Stone is still shivering. He arrives at a trailer and checks his playlist. He sits down on a comfortable chair and prepares to start his radio show.

Stone has his own radio show on  KUCI called Suspect Devices. He  plays mostly punk music from 4 a.m. to 6 a.m. every Saturday. Due to this extremely early schedule, Stone often spends his Friday nights socializing with friends and going to local concerts. On some occasions, Stone’s close friends accompany him to the station to keep him awake. After the show is over, Stone rushes home, eager to sleep.

Stone is a first-year social ecology major. Since his acceptance to UC Irvine, Stone knew he wanted to host his own radio show.

After his graduation from high school, Stone felt free to express himself. He has three tattoos on this body, one of the Lady of Guadalupe on his forearm, indicating his religion. The second tattoo is a Dia de los Muertos skull on his right shoulder and a clover with the words, “Father, Son, Holy Spirit” below it.

Stone’s personal expression greatly differs from that of the typical and conservative Irvine image. Through his tattoos, multiple ear piercings and endless supply of band T-shirts with flannels, Stone’s look is not commonly seen at UCI  or even around the Irvine community.

Do not be fooled by his punk exterior. Stone is actually one of the most approachable and friendliest students on campus, defying the stereotype that punk automatically means aggressive, one smile at a time. Whether he is making friends at concerts or socializing with the other KUCI radio DJ’s, Stone has a passion for meeting new people.

“I’ve never seen myself as intimidating. I don’t consider myself to be that tall, but I am six feet,” explained Stone. “I never think of my tattoos as intimidating, but I guess I’ve met a few people who thought they were a bit intimidating.”

Stone was born to a music-loving family in Orange County. He lived in San Clemente during his early childhood for two years and then moved with his family to Fullerton.

Stone has lived a fairly normal life. He played sports, socialized with other children and made friends during his preadolescent years. Being home schooled until high school, Stone was heavily influenced by his family. His father was a drummer for a local Orange County punk band, Scurvy. This valuable connection to the music industry exposed Stone to all kinds of music, ranging from classically popular artists to the Beatles to punk groups like Social Distortion.

“Leading up to punk, I would just listen to mainstream rock,” said Stone. “Whatever my parents were listening to, I would listen to, too. There were some punk CDs around, but I didn’t listen to them at the time.”

By the time Stone was 11, his interest in other types of music began to pique. One of his friends had shared with him some Celtic punk music, which compelled Stone to start exploring more types of punk.  He picked up CDs of punk artists like The Clash and noticed the unique appearance of the artists. They expressed themselves through their personal appearance and clothing, which was not necessarily the  latest and most fashionable clothing.

After his homeschooling, Stone attended Servite High School, an all-male Catholic high school in Anaheim. Although the school was closely knit, Stone could not definitively find someone who shared the same passion in punk music  and culture. As a result, Stone lost his interest in punk, listening instead to more mainstream artists like Sublime and other alternative groups.

This turn toward the mainstream did not last long. It was around his junior year that Stone began going to underground shows and local performances, ultimately becoming the catalyst for a sort of rebirth in punk’s importance for Stone. He began to also conduct some research on shows, the bands playing and the different underground labels that signed them.

“When I went to these shows, I would meet a lot of new people and make new friends,” said Stone. “They would expose me to these new bands and artists, which is how I got into the different music I’m into now.”

Since his acceptance to UC Irvine, Stone knew that he wanted to host his own radio show. He first learned about KUCI through the  Involvement Fair and has been involved in it since week zero of the fall quarter.

Looking onto the future, Stone hopes to get more involved at UC Irvine through writing and retain his radio station. After graduation, Stone hopes to get involved with journalism and eventually manage his own radio station, where he can be free to express his love for punk culture and music in general.

“Punk culture as a whole is really about expressing yourself, no matter who you are or what you’re into,” explained Stone. “The lamest thing you can do is doing something just to fit in and conform to standards of other people. Set your own standards.”